DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Colour matching HV30 and XH-A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/122484-colour-matching-hv30-xh-a1.html)

Luc De Wandel May 27th, 2008 07:32 AM

Colour matching HV30 and XH-A1

Hi, I just matched my HV30 (using a colour chart and skin tones) to the XH-A1 and these are the settings that look most comparable to me (with all the 'image effects' on the HV30 off) :
GAM-N
KNE-M
BLK-P
PED -9
SET -9
SHP 2
HDF-M
HDV 0
COR 0
NR1 0
NR2 0
CMX N
CGN 0
CPH 0
RGN -21
GGN 1
BGN 7
RGM 13
RBM 12
GRM 4
GBM 4
BRM 11
BGM 8
For what it's worth.
Luc

Colin McDonald May 27th, 2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel (Post 883782)
Hi, I just matched my HV30 (using a colour chart and skin tones) to the XH-A1 and these are the settings that look most comparable to me (with all the 'image effects' on the HV30 off) :
GAM-N
KNE-M
BLK-P
PED -9
SET -9
SHP 2
HDF-M
HDV 0
COR 0
NR1 0
NR2 0
CMX N
CGN 0
CPH 0
RGN -21
GGN 1
BGN 7
RGM 13
RBM 12
GRM 4
GBM 4
BRM 11
BGM 8
For what it's worth.
Luc

Thanks for sharing that. I don't imagine that you're able to post images yet?

I would be keen to see examples.

Luc De Wandel May 27th, 2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 883908)
Thanks for sharing that. I don't imagine that you're able to post images yet?

I would be keen to see examples.

No, not able to post images yet. Sorry. Good luck with the settings though.
Luc

Taky Cheung May 29th, 2008 01:49 AM

Is it easy to make it a Custom Preset file we can load to the SD card? That would be wonderful!

Luc De Wandel May 29th, 2008 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 884909)
Is it easy to make it a Custom Preset file we can load to the SD card? That would be wonderful!

I'll give it a try as soon as I can post attachements, Taky.

Taky Cheung May 29th, 2008 02:05 AM

That would be wonderful! Just curious, so you are matching HV30 not in Cine mode, right? So all middle setting in Contrast, Brightness, and Color Depth?

That's awesome!

Luc De Wandel May 29th, 2008 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 884919)
That would be wonderful! Just curious, so you are matching HV30 not in Cine mode, right? So all middle setting in Contrast, Brightness, and Color Depth?

That's awesome!

Thats' correct. My HV30 in it's factory settings is already much more contrasted and coulourful than the XH-A1. In fact, it gives a fantastic image right out of the box. I prefer high-contrast images. It remains a matter of taste, of course.

Deke Ryland May 29th, 2008 10:06 AM

Just to make sure I read your post correctly... which of the two camera's did you adjust? Did you adjust the HV30 to look like the A1? Or did you adjust your A1 to look like the out-of-the-box HV30? Thanks!

Taky Cheung May 29th, 2008 10:07 AM

HV30 doesn't have all those paremeters to adjust.

Luc De Wandel May 29th, 2008 11:36 AM

That's right, the adjustment possibilities of the HV30 are rather limited compared to those of the XH-A1. So the comparison is done with all the settings of the HV30 in 'neutral' and all the tweaking is done on the XH-A1. I have the preset file here, but I have to wait until I get 'attachement' prerogatives to post it. I don't know exactly when that is. My first post was 28 days ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Deke Ryland May 29th, 2008 07:05 PM

Hey Luc... when you say HV30 'neutral', do you mean it's factory default? Or is there an actual 'neutral' setting that is different than the saturated and contrasty factory look of the HV30?

Luc De Wandel May 30th, 2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deke Ryland (Post 885415)
Hey Luc... when you say HV30 'neutral', do you mean it's factory default? Or is there an actual 'neutral' setting that is different than the saturated and contrasty factory look of the HV30?

I meant the hard, colourful factory setting. I happen to like this setting (because I'm used to concert photography, I suppose), but I can imagine that for many people this is too harsh. Then my preset on the XH-A1 won't please them, of course...

Brian Pratt February 5th, 2009 09:56 AM

I've tried this preset in my XH-A1 and it has a very blue colour cast to it .. not at all like my HV20 which I'd expect to be similar to a HV30.

John Stakes February 5th, 2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Pratt (Post 1007028)
I've tried this preset in my XH-A1 and it has a very blue colour cast to it .. not at all like my HV20 which I'd expect to be similar to a HV30.

I'm sure Luc won't mind if you make your own adjustments ; ). BTW double check your white balance.

I'm going to try this out even though I don't have and HV30 haha, I just think it's interesting to see how unique of an image can be produced on the A1, one day actually figuring these variables out and creating my own preset.

Thanks for sharing

JS

Brian Pratt February 5th, 2009 11:00 AM

No the white balance is fine, if I flick through my presets (I have 8 customised presets installed, one of which I use most of the time with punchy colours & my low light one I use when needed) colour is good till I reach this (HV30) one and it goes very blue. I wonder if Luc had his white balance preset to something non neutral when he created it. Try it and see what you think!

Looking at the values ..

RGN = -21
GGN = 1
BGN = 7

Red turned right down, blue turned up.