Best Backpack Style Bags for A1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM   #16
Regular Crew

PetrolPMCK-1 Mini Camback Backpack

Has anyone tried this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=419113&is=REG

If so, is there room for a shotgun mic? I don't mind taking it off the camera. I just can't tell if there's room for it anywhere.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I couldn't wait

Okay, well, I went on and ordered this bag (above). I'll let you know how it works out.
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Wall View Post
Okay, well, I went on and ordered this bag (above). I'll let you know how it works out.
How did this work out? Thanks!
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I haven't gotten it yet. It's supposed to come today. I'll report back.
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Here ya go

Well, it fits, but it's using the maximum amount of space. Here are a few pics with the camcorder and my Sennheiser ME66/K6 shotgun with Rycote Softie. And I don't know what they consider a full sized tripod but mine sure won't fit on the side. See for yourselves:

http://www.pbase.com/cdwall/camcorder_bag

It'll work okay for me though. I don't need to carry a lot of extras.
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #21
Tourist

flipside

i use the flipside 300. The camera just fits in. I can stuff the batt's and a few cables with it too. It's a very snug fit but the bag is light and very compact.

I bought it for 99 euro

EDIT: it's a bag from lowepro
Ralph Lindsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #22
Major Player

Thanks - that saves me finding time to get the camera to the shop to try it out!
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I'd really like a backpack that will do a good job at distributing the weight of my camera and accessories over my hips as opposed to carrying the weight on my shoulders. Anyone recommend a backpack with a good waist strap (not the silly ones that Porta-brace use).
David Thanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #24
Major Player

At present I have a Lowepro Nature-trekker. It is very comfortable with the weight on my hips when loaded with 2 Nikon D200s and four lenses, plus miscellaneous other items, and a tripod.

Yesterday I went out with it, carrying the Canon A1 plus a D200 with a 400mm lens, and the tripod. I had my lunch and a 1 liter bottle of water in a plastic carrier bag. Once at my destination, I carried the camera on the tripod on my shoulder (wildlife doesn't hang around while you get the camera etc set up), and put the plastic bag with lunch in the camera bag. Still comfortable. And even better once I'd finished the water!

If I could get out more often, I'd be taking either stills kit or video kit, and even this time, I really used only the A1 - the weather was too dull for taking stills of birds. So I really need to decide whether to get another Nature Trekker for the video gear, or get something different, such as the Flipside 300. If I get something different, I'm less likely to pick up the wrong bag by mistake!
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thanh View Post
I'd really like a backpack that will do a good job at distributing the weight of my camera and accessories over my hips as opposed to carrying the weight on my shoulders. Anyone recommend a backpack with a good waist strap (not the silly ones that Porta-brace use).
David, I just ordered the Kata BP-502 backpack and it does a good job of distributing the weight. It has a hip strap that helps keep it steady on your back. I ended up returning it because the backpack is too bulky for my taste, but it does have a good amount of room for a camera, laptop and accessories.
Makoto Schoppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I used the Kata 103 backpack with the A1. I had to take the shotgun and hood off so it's not a run and gun backpack. However, it is very good at protecting the camera and other gear without being bulky and huge. I used it as a camera bag for all my shoots as well as to schlepp on and off airplanes & taxis as I traveled through Asia. It passed as a carry on and protects against other passengers shoving things around in the overhead. It also is very well engineered to be comfortable and distribute the weight. I replaced the waist belt with a wider one for comfort. See photo for how I packed it along with other gear I didn't want to check. It does great for a DSLR kit too.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Backpack Style Bags for A1?-img_0950_posting.jpg  
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks Makoto and Ernest. I just ordered the Kata Grizzly-3 from B&H. It looks like it is overkill for my small A1 but I wanted something that I could use not only to keep accessories mounted, but that I could also carry my tripod and stuff I would need for a day (or in a pinch) and overnight hike. I'll let you all know how it works out.
David Thanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwingen Niels View Post
hi, i was wondering if anyone ownes the portabrace backpack BK 1N? i am going for a while to cambodia and was thinking to invest in the best around...??

looking on the portabrace folder they say it will fit the canon xh A1 but if i compare to the dimensions of the camera i wonder how it will fit in. anybody some info on this?

http://www.libraprobroadcast.co.uk/p...ckpack&cat=233

http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf/product/E...2572D5006DE136
THe bk 1n works real nice. I've traveled much with it. I can easily cram an xh a1, 17" macbook pro, me66, g2 wireless lav, and a lacie d2, plus batteries, charger, headphones, and some small other stuff
plus its reasonably waterproof, and comfortable. I've had other bags but with this amount of weight they usually tear around the shoulder straps.
Dave Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply. are you sure its not the 2N or 3N model?
can you post a pic of the backpack with the xh A1 in it?

cheers
Terwingen Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #30
Regular Crew

how about making a camcorder bag out? anyone know anything about that?
Nagisa Kodama is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders