DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Broke my headphone socket! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/123302-broke-my-headphone-socket.html)

Sy Angelis June 8th, 2008 12:41 PM

Broke my headphone socket!

I managed to step on the headphone cable whilst it was plugged into the XHA1 today. The plastic bit inside the socket is broken and I now can't hear anything when i pludg teh headphones in.
:(

Is it a quick and simple fix or am I looking at lots of $$$$ ?

Thanks

Chris Hurd June 8th, 2008 03:10 PM

Send it to Canon factory service (in London, I believe). There will be a repair charge, but it's not going to break you.

Richard Gooderick June 8th, 2008 03:32 PM

Yes, it's just outside London. It will take a couple of weeks for them to turn it round. I hope you don't need it in a hurry.

Chris Soucy June 8th, 2008 04:47 PM

Hi Sy.............

If you actually front up to Canon Service in North London and throw yourself on the mercy of the receptionist, you'd be suprised at what might happen - worked for me on a couple of occasions.

Bugger of a place to get to on public transport tho' (luckily, I drove).

CS

Ian Wright June 9th, 2008 01:12 AM

Presumably you should call them first to log it in and get a reference number. My XH should arrive in London on Tuesday to have its firewire port repaired.

It would be interesting to find out which of our 2 cameras come back first!

Ian
www.festivalpreviews.com

Jan Luethje June 9th, 2008 06:38 AM

Had the same issue one year ago. Canon (Germany) fixed it for free (warranty), but they told me, I would have cost about 140€. After that experience I made myself a short adapter cable, fixed on the camera's handheld. Never happened again, just had to fix the cable a couple of times.

Howard Wilczynski June 9th, 2008 07:11 AM

I did the same thing (a year ago) when my camera was only a month old. They charged me $250 to fix it. They knew it was not a warranty issue. This was at the Irvine, California repair center.

I now use a double connector with an angled input so if I do it again, just the connector will separate from the angled one.

Richard Gooderick June 9th, 2008 09:31 AM

Howard
Is there any chance that you could link to one of these connectors somewhere on the web or provide a photo.
I can't visualise it.

Howard Wilczynski June 9th, 2008 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture, I got it at a local electronics store.

Sy Angelis June 10th, 2008 04:32 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.

Dropped it off at the North london branch yesterday morning. Hopefully will ahve it back early next week. No idea as to cost yet.

I'll look into the adaper as well.

Annie Haycock June 10th, 2008 11:18 AM

I think I got my elbow joint from a small electronics shop in Cardigan, but you can probably get them from www.keene.co.uk, and Maplin. I had one for the lanc too, though 2.5mm joints are more difficult to come by.

Sy Angelis June 14th, 2008 04:32 PM

The camera was ready on thursday and I picked it up yesterday afternoon.

Cost.... £151.

That'll teach me to look where I walk in future!!!

Howard Wilczynski June 14th, 2008 07:18 PM

Sure taught me a lesson too. This is why I got the angle adapter. I figure if I did do it again, there would be little or no damage if it worked correctly as I planned.

Ian Wright June 22nd, 2008 09:56 AM

I'm getting mine back from London, firewire repair, tomorrow - 9 business days. Apparently the Grand Prix meant that a lot of their technicians were there, presumably working, delaying my repair.

Ian
http://www.festivalpreviews.com

Guy Shaddock June 22nd, 2008 10:25 AM

Is this weakness unique to the XH-A1? Is it because the green plastic insulator is too small? It is questionable that it is an owner fault or a design flaw considering the number of people that have had this part break.
I have one of the right angle adapters but I am not quite sure how it helps prevent the breakage (since it has not happened to me YET!