DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH-A1 to Premiere Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/123473-xh-a1-premiere-pro.html)

Ed Mohar June 10th, 2008 09:18 PM

XH-A1 to Premiere Pro

This is the first time I'm importing footage with my XH-A1 into Premiere Pro CS3, and, idk, its not working?

Jonathan Shaw June 10th, 2008 10:00 PM

Ed you are going to have to give us some more information.

Error messages, whats not working etc etc

Ed Mohar June 10th, 2008 10:23 PM

Ok. I connected the XH-A1 viz firewire to my PC and started Premiere Pro CS3. I then created a new HDV project, and when I went to capture, it didn't show the capture on the PC, but it started capturing and playing on the XH-A1. When I stopped the capture, it was saved as a clipname.mpeg. Then i dragged it over to the timeline. It placed in there, but it wouldn't play. I went to the file in the computer and played it with windows media player, the video seemed to play, but there was no audio.

Jonathan Shaw June 11th, 2008 12:15 AM

Hi Ed,

I haven't used PP in a while, have you double checked that your capture settings match the footage and frame rate etc?

Are you getting PP to communicate with the camera? Sounds like windows is capturing not PP..

Matthew Ebenezer June 12th, 2008 05:00 AM

Hi Ed,

I'd suggest downloading the 15 day free trial of Cineform Aspect HD from www.cineform.com

I've found it to make editing HDV a whole lot easier.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Aaron Winters June 12th, 2008 07:51 PM

I'm 99% sure on this part......I think

When capturing HDV PPro it won't show you the preview in the capture monitor. It will show it on the LCD of the camera/deck/whatever. Go record a 3 minute test, capture, and wait for Adobe to catch up with itself. After a minute or so, maybe 5 depending on your system, it should be business as usual.

Working with the HDV codec just literally takes more time, whenever I tried to rush it, stop it at the wrong time, it would just mess up or even crash. My computer is a dual-core AMD at 2.1GHZ with 2gig ram and Windows XP. It can edit HD but it just takes longer.

So
-Rewind on the camera deck to where you want to start capture
-Begin Capturing
-Let capture go through the tape, and just wait for it to ask you to Save the file (this can take longer then usual)
-Edit footage and enjoy, don't rush anything

Dan Herrmann June 12th, 2008 08:21 PM

Both of the last two responders are correct

You will not see anything in the capture window during capture but you can monitor on the flip out.
And everyone the uses HDV that I know and premeire pro are in love with Cineform.
Great programs and constantly updated. well worth the price.

You are able to view your captured footage after the capture assume.

I use Avid Media Composer and injest through my blackmagic equipment on the G1

But try the cineform and I am sure you will find that it does plenty more than just give you an intermediate codec to edit with.

read the site CINEFORM.COM

Tripp Woelfel June 12th, 2008 09:14 PM

Ed... If you're running Vista, stay away from Cineform. I have personally tried it on three different machines with Vista and it failed each time. To make matters worse on the last trial, which ended this past Monday, I waited two business days for a response from my first support ticket. I responded to them the same day telling them that their suggestion didn't work. Now, eight days later, still no response.

Do you really want to trust your work to a product from a company with such ropey support?

IMHO, Cineform is a great concept that falls flat in execution.

Matthew Ebenezer June 12th, 2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 892333)
Ed... If you're running Vista, stay away from Cineform. I have personally tried it on three different machines with Vista and it failed each time. To make matters worse on the last trial, which ended this past Monday, I waited two business days for a response from my first support ticket. I responded to them the same day telling them that their suggestion didn't work. Now, eight days later, still no response.

Do you really want to trust your work to a product from a company with such ropey support?

IMHO, Cineform is a great concept that falls flat in execution.

Hey Tripp,

That's a shame you've had a bad experience with Cineform.

I've found it to be an awesome product and the support has been exceptional - i.e. responses and solutions within minutes when posting to the Cineform thread on this forum - plus the support ticket system has been great as well.

Having said that, I'm running XP Pro - wouldn't touch Vista with a 10 foot pole ;)

Cheers,

Matthew.

Annie Haycock June 13th, 2008 01:13 AM

Back to Ed's question

You say you've got video but not audio.

On my PC, I don't get audio when playing a clip in media player - I think the computer isn't quite powerful enough to cope with mpeg3 (it's a 4-year old XP machine) - but the sound is there in premier elements, so don't panic.

Check that the audio isn't muted on your computer - I was mystified by the lack of audio when playing something on my laptop (new Vista machine), only to realise the audio had been muted.

Also I don't always see the video on the computer screen while it's downloading - but it isn't consistent on either computer. However, so long as the clock is running on the display, it is downloading ok.