DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   "Used" Warranty (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/123542-used-warranty.html)

Russell Feller June 11th, 2008 02:52 PM

"Used" Warranty

Just purchased a XH-A1 off of ebay and was wondering if I could put a warranty on it? I know MACK used to sell a 2 year used professional video camera warranty but I can never get ahold of them to get details. Any opinions?

Travis Cossel June 11th, 2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Feller (Post 891578)
Just purchased a XH-A1 off of ebay and was wondering if I could put a warranty on it? I know MACK used to sell a 2 year used professional video camera warranty but I can never get ahold of them to get details. Any opinions?

Just saw this post in passing, but I would be wary of any company offering a "used warranty" if you have a hard time getting ahold of them. That wouldn't bode well for if you ever had to use the warranty.

Russell Feller June 11th, 2008 04:27 PM

I just thought MACK was always a reliable warranty.

Travis Cossel June 11th, 2008 04:34 PM

I don't know, really. I haven't used them or known anyone who has. I just saw your post and thought, if you can't get ahold of them now you might have the same problem later.

Shahryar Rizvi September 10th, 2008 09:33 AM

Hey Russel, whatever happened with this? were you able to put an extended warranty on your used XH-A1? I'm looking to buy an XH-A1 soon and am thinking of going to the used route to save some money. To make me feel better about the purchase, I'm trying to see if I can find one that comes with an extended warranty on it.

Kale Fitch September 10th, 2008 09:41 AM

Mack Warranty

I had a 4 year warranty through Mack on a Canon GL2 I used to own. I never had a problem with them, sent it in twice for cleaning and once for service on the heads. Although the warranty was bought with the brand new camera I never had a problem with their service.

Shahryar Rizvi September 10th, 2008 09:57 AM

Is the cleaning something that's offered on an annual basis as part of the warranty ownership? in sending in the camera for cleaning, any chance they also check to make sure everything's good with the camera?

Perhaps I could work out something with the seller of the XH-A1 that I'm eying on craigslist to send it in to Mack to make sure everything's good with the camera (kind of like getting a used car inspected before buying).

It's kind of a hassle but if it means I could save $500+, I think it's worth it. The only crappy part of mailing the camera in probably is all the money it would cost in shipping (in mainly the insurance).

Kale Fitch September 12th, 2008 10:33 AM

sorry for the delay in post, yes the cleanings were taken care of in the warranty. I have found they also check for other issues with the camera when they have it (they replaced a few parts on my camera when it was in for cleaning). Everything was fully covered. As far as mailing the camera in, I really can't remember that part, I don't think they paid for it and if I did it must not have been that much. I don't think the seller would want to send it in to Mack Cam to have it checked before you buy it, too much of a hassle to "maybe" sell it.

Shahryar Rizvi September 12th, 2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kale Fitch (Post 933821)
sorry for the delay in post, yes the cleanings were taken care of in the warranty. I have found they also check for other issues with the camera when they have it (they replaced a few parts on my camera when it was in for cleaning). Everything was fully covered. As far as mailing the camera in, I really can't remember that part, I don't think they paid for it and if I did it must not have been that much. I don't think the seller would want to send it in to Mack Cam to have it checked before you buy it, too much of a hassle to "maybe" sell it.

Thanks for getting back to me Kale. Good to hear that the Mack also takes a look at the camera to make sure everything's good and replaces things as they see fit.

I just purchased my XH-A1 from a DVinfo.net seller (thanks Dave, http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...078#post932078) rather than the craigslist seller because I felt more comfortable going with someone here. But if this dvinfo.net seller wasn't available, I think I would have wanted to have Mack check out the camera and make sure everything was good with it before buying it from the craigslist seller. So perhaps this is something a seller of equipment who has a mack warranty could consider if they wanted to add some value to their sale and/or reassure the potential buyer.

My last question is approx. how long does Mack take to do a cleaning/service?

Kale Fitch September 12th, 2008 03:18 PM

It has been a while but I want to say it was around 2-3 weeks that they had the camera. I would send it in when I would have a slow period in weddings and rent a camera from a friend if I needed one. One of the cleanings I sent it in for there was a screw missing where the plate attaches and i asked them to replace it, well they cleaned the camera, replaced all the screws on the bottom and found an issue with the heads all fixed under warranty at no charge. I was weary about Mack Cam for the warranty but they seemed to be just fine when I dealt with them.

Shahryar Rizvi September 13th, 2008 12:41 AM

Excellent, I think that's everything I want to know.