Darker than expected - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 18th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #16
Contributor

Have you checked the footage on an HD monitor set up to color bars? Or, you could set up your computer monitor to bars.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #17
New Boot

Easy fix

Okay alot of answers on this, but the solution is simple dude. Set up your camera through the firewire and open Final cut pro. Set camera on video mode instead of VCR mode so you can see what the camera sees on you final cut window. Make sure you have the preset on the camera you will use. Now, on the camera, adjust the lcd image settings in the camera menu until the lcd image matches the window live preview in finalcut. Also I would do this adjustment in low light to get the worst case scenario fixed.
Easy. This is what I did and so when i shoot a wedding, what I see in my LCD is exactly what i will see on my monitor when I edit.
Charles Hesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hesman View Post
Okay alot of answers on this, but the solution is simple dude. Set up your camera through the firewire and open Final cut pro. Set camera on video mode instead of VCR mode so you can see what the camera sees on you final cut window. Make sure you have the preset on the camera you will use. Now, on the camera, adjust the lcd image settings in the camera menu until the lcd image matches the window live preview in finalcut. Also I would do this adjustment in low light to get the worst case scenario fixed.
Easy. This is what I did and so when i shoot a wedding, what I see in my LCD is exactly what i will see on my monitor when I edit.
That solution is not exactly simple and definitely not ideal. As I mentioned before, FCP corrects the gamma so if you calibrated the camera LCD to FCP, the exported video would turn out washed out. And you shouldn't be rely on the brightness of the LCD to guage exposure anyway.
Alex Plank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders