DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Unicycle Video "Livin' the Dream" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/123908-unicycle-video-livin-dream.html)

Sam Haber June 16th, 2008 04:23 PM

Unicycle Video "Livin' the Dream"

Hey,

http://www.vimeo.com/1174628

This was all shot with a XHA1 with the Century Optics wide angle lens.
Please hit me with some feedback.

-Sam Haber

Morgan Crossley June 16th, 2008 09:02 PM

cool stuff man. I unicycle too but i've never been as good as you! keep it up. what was the effect you used in the last shot? sort of flickering old fashioned filter or something.

John Stakes June 16th, 2008 09:35 PM

well. I like the video, but it was a little long...maybe if I unicycled I would watch more? I know it was two videos, but still. Guess the target audience could be a factor. Also I think a better mic would greatly benefit the commentary. Other than that, it's a great way to showcase your talent.

Personally I think you should combine all the (video) footage into a sweet 3 minute piece. I really like the color that you used during the credits, wish I could have saw more of that. Was it a preset, or...?

Julian Frost June 16th, 2008 10:11 PM

Hi John,

Nice video. I was wondering if you ever saw those guys who rode unicycles along (over, under, and around) the Great Wall of China? Most amazing thing I ever saw on one wheel! I saw it on a TV show several years ago, and have been trying to locate it again ever since!

Bill Busby June 17th, 2008 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stakes (Post 894242)
Also I think a better mic would greatly benefit the commentary.

I agree. If narration can't be legible, it's pretty much useless. Even lowering the music levels during the narration would help, but still... it sounded weird to begin with. Other than, it was nice. :D

Doug Davis June 17th, 2008 06:39 AM

I liked the video but I agree with John about the length... Actually it made me cry at one point... When the guy racked himself on the rail... Ouch.... Reminds me of my old skater days... Painful memories... : )

The only thing I really wasn't a big fan of the border around the image... It kind of distracted me a little bit... Other than that man great video and good shots... Which Wide angle were you using?

Sam Haber June 17th, 2008 02:44 PM

Thanks.

Yea it was a bit long I agree. However, I plan to make Full length films with many riders, and this was sort of a test to try and extend past one song for the first time.

The Effect at the end is called "overdrive" in FCP. I turned most of the settings on very low so the gittery flashy and expansion were all gone or minimal. I would love to figure out how to get that same old film look without the flashing. I also added some contrast.

I completely agree you all of you about the voice over issue. I had been stood up to many times from the owner of the mic I was supposed to use and had to go with what I have. I will be using a mic for anything similar in the future.

I thought the smaller white border kinda of tied the "intro" and the rest of the film together better than no border, but this is not the first who have mentioned it was a bit much.

The EA lens is the "fisheye" not the ultra fish eye, the mid range WA.

-Sam

Eric James Kline June 18th, 2008 10:54 AM

first and foremost as a bmxer who rides alot of street i am completely blown away by this. i really didnt know this stuff was possible and i am considering setting my bike on fire because of it.

As far as the video itself goes, i agree with what everybody else said, it was a bit long. i may be wrong but i think you used a couple of the same clips in the intro as you did the riding video itself which may have added some length. i like how you slowed the first song down a little bit, it worked well with the voice over. overall i enjoyed it, keep it up