Focus on very far away objects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 18th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Focus on very far away objects

Was recently at the Port of Los Angeles, photographing the massive cranes in San Pedro that load/unload shipping containers from the ships. I had my xha1 set at IAF and when i looked at the footage on my mac, the cranes (which must have been about a quarter mile away from me) looked out of focus: is this because IAF simply cant focus on objects that far away?... is my only option to use manual focus?
-Steve

PS: Is there ever a time when I wouldn't want to use IAF vs normal AF (obviously if a lens is blocking the IR sensor!)
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #2
Major Player

I've just looked at some stuff I shot last week of birds on the coast and a lot of it looks out of focus. But a closer look shows that the problem is really from haze and the movement of air up the cliffs. Almost everything is shimmering. The auto-focus had a hard time on distant objects because of it. This wasn't the fault of the auto-focus on the A1, just the limitations of any auto-focus system under such conditions.
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi guy's...........

Steve,

The simple truth is, 1/4 mile isn't all that far away.

My A1 will pick out objects in stark clear focus up to 950 metres away, that's about 2/3 of a mile.

Leaving your lens in IAF in those circumstances faces it with an impossible job - what, exactly, to focus on?

The cranes, which aren't "in it's face"? The huge background, which is everything else?

My guess? It went to Infinity, when it should have been set (manually) to 500 odd metres (600 - 700 yards).

Sorry Steve, don't do that sort of thing with a lens as sharp as the A1's, and certainly don't expect it to "think for itself" and do a better job than the operator.

Annie,

Don't use IAF in those circumstances, the camera doesn't have the brains for it. It's good, quite often better than the human operators who use it, but it simply cannot make those sort of decissions with any hope of accuracy.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Chris - I shot only about 15 seconds with the autofocus on to demonstrate the problem it had focussing on a cliff in the sea mist. The other stuff only looked out of focus at first (I was using manual focus) because of the heat haze. I'm having a problem finding enough material that looks sharp enough to use in the UWOL video.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders