DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Shutter - what's your preference (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/124386-shutter-whats-your-preference.html)

Matt Bishop June 23rd, 2008 01:39 PM

Shutter - what's your preference

I just spent quite a while looking around old posts to find an answer but didn't really get what I was looking for.

I'm fairly new to the canon A1 and am starting to use the 30f mode a lot more. I'm really curious as to what the best setting for shutter speed is for 30f ....and even for 60i while I'm on the topic. Now I know light is a factor but I typically find other ways of working with light than just slowing down the shutter, so let's assume lighting is always optimal or workable and I don't want to change shutter speed during an event...and this will primarily be for shooting weddings.

So visually, what are some of your settings or preferences for shutter speed at 30f or 60i to get the best image. I have been using 60i at 1/60 and have shot 30f at 1/120 but I've seen others set 30f at 1/60. I'm just curious if this is going to be too choppy. Now on the other end, if I set 30f to say, 1/300, do I still get the 30f look or does it become more fluid like 60i ?

Thanks!

Dennis Murphy June 23rd, 2008 03:43 PM

Because there's a large degree of subjectivity with this topic, I suggest getting the camera out and loading a tape up with different speeds and situations i.e. fast objects, reasonably static, bright/dark situations, ND/iris combo's, i/P differences, slow-mo/standard speed.

I think at the end of the day you have to find your own buzz... but hey, I could be completely wrong.

Bill Pryor June 23rd, 2008 04:14 PM

For 30 fps the standard shutter speed is 1/60. For 24 fps, it's 1/48. You shoot at a lower shutter speed you'll get some blurring and strobing. You can go a little faster, but go too fast and you can get some strangeness (for example, focus on a spinning fan blade, crank the shutter speed faster and the blade will slow and eventually appear to go backward). Unless you're looking for a certain effect, it's best to use the standard shutter speeds and control light with aperture and ND filters.

Matt Bishop June 23rd, 2008 05:15 PM

Thanks for your replies. Dennis, you're right that there are so many different factors...so it's hard to say what's right or wrong because everyone sees and uses the effects differently. I'm just curious what other people are setting it at. And Bill, thanks for your response. That's one thing I was curious about and that at least gives me a base from which I can do some tests and decide what will work best for me.

Matt

Christopher Drews June 23rd, 2008 06:52 PM

Shutter

I shot a lot of a feature at 24P 1/24th shutter without too many issues. I used the extra light because I didn't want to send the time to properly exposed the shot. It has been iterated already but the answer to this will be based on what you want and the look you are going for. The rule of thumb is: Don't make it look like Cloverfield.
Save your audience motion sickness. Don't direct the camera, direct the story (if applicable). Don't dwell on the possibilities of the medium but create a compelling story.

-C