XHA1 - Low Light Testing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #1
Major Player

XHA1 - Low Light Testing

Check it out here:
www.vimeo.com/1223698
Mostly 18 / 12dB...
-Steve
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Stephen, what preset etc. here? I also think the 18 looks useable. The 12db is actually a nicer picture to me, it seems more like the actual light in the situation. Good stuff.
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Stephen, what preset etc. here?
Bill
Hi Bill,
The shot of the restaurant with the lights in the windows was the REALITY presets, however the rest were just straight A1 (no preset).
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Stephen,
Just as a side note, it your final product is HD, then 18 will be pretty noticeable, but if your downconverting to standard DVD at the end, a lot of the grain will disappear. At 12 the grain almost entirely disappears on a down convert. For a lot of my stuff I would prefer to deliver a standard progressive Dvd than a true HD product since I'm always shooting in low light.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Major Player

The final product will be a SD DVD, however I will also upload it to the web in HD. I think I might have to go with 18db just to get enough of the image... or would it be better to shoot with a lower gain in camera and then adjust brightness/color in post?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Nazeck View Post
Hey Stephen,
Just as a side note, it your final product is HD, then 18 will be pretty noticeable, but if your downconverting to standard DVD at the end, a lot of the grain will disappear. At 12 the grain almost entirely disappears on a down convert. For a lot of my stuff I would prefer to deliver a standard progressive Dvd than a true HD product since I'm always shooting in low light.
Nathan, that's a really helpful point, as I'm currently working on a project with several low light shots using 12dB gain.

I feel a lot more confident in delivering my footage on a DVD now than I was before, since I had been editing the whole thing in HD.

Thanks!

-Dmitry
Dmitry Futoryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lewis View Post
The final product will be a SD DVD, however I will also upload it to the web in HD. I think I might have to go with 18db just to get enough of the image... or would it be better to shoot with a lower gain in camera and then adjust brightness/color in post?
I've found that boosting the image in post after using 12 is usually a little cleaner than using 18 straight. It still adds some grain when you boost it, but 18 is quite bit dirtier than 12. We use 12 at just about every reception that we shoot and its acceptable most of the time. especially on an SD DVD
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #8
Major Player

I didn't want to make a new thread so I am adding on to this one.
I shot weddings with my A1 and the other videographer has sony pd170 (or 150) and his image on low light does not lose the saturation of the color. I Am not so worried about the image being so grainy (12db does pretty good job with lower shutter speed) but I have noticed contrast, saturation of the color looks so washed out on my camera. I am trying to fix that on post (i edited , too) and there is a limit...
I have wedding this weekend and I hate to hear "JJ, your camera looks too different from our camera. use ours (or rent one)" cause imho PD170 is too small to handle, and I love my canon. Any preset tricks for that? I sometimes use vivid color, but on low light, it does not help so much... help, please?
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for sharing. I looked at your other videos too. The images are quite amazing! What preset did you use to shoot the wild fire and Jack's rehearsal?
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nguyen View Post
Thanks for sharing. I looked at your other videos too. The images are quite amazing! What preset did you use to shoot the wild fire and Jack's rehearsal?
Hey thanks Tony!
If memory serves, those two were shot with the REALITY preset!
-Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders