Shooting a computer tutorial for the web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 24th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Shooting a computer tutorial for the web

I need to get more precise information from the people I’m doing this for but here’s what I know so far.

They want to include the person doing the tutorial in at least some of the shots so screen capture is not an option. Their site uses flash.

I’ve hunted around on the net for answers but most everything i find is about compression, not about how best to shoot it.

My questions.

1. In this context, what are the pros and cons of shooting hdv vs. sd. Which would you choose?

2. Regardless of the answer to the above should I shoot 30F?
I know the footage will end up progressive anyway. Any reason to avoid 24fps?

3. I don’t know yet if the computer we’ll be using is a PC or Mac. A Mac’s screen defaults to 6500K Is the same true for PC? Given my lack of a colour temp meter, I’m thinking about how to balance the screen’s temperature with any lights that I use. AWB?

If anyone can point me in the right direction that’d be great.

Thanks
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post

They want to include the person doing the tutorial in at least some of the shots so screen capture is not an option.
Thanks

do both, capture the screen and tape the instructor doing the tutorial simultaneously, that way you can cut back and forth in post.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Major Player

I wasn't too clear in how I said that. It is what I'm planning on, assuming there is capture software on the computer in question. Just trying to cover my bases.

Seeing as the two would have to cut together I need to know what my best options for shooting would be. Experimented on my mac this morning using DV 30F. Will try HDV later.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #4
Major Player

As long as you're shooting an LCD (not a tube monitor) you shouldn't have problems with flickering or anything. However, Most LCD's are way too bright out of the box and people don't tend to adjust them. You might find that your exposure is a little tricky when focused on the monitor, it will make the room look dark. And vice versa. You might have to turn the monitor down a little to find the right balance.

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Snapz Pro - best screen capture utility for Mac.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders