Just bought a Canon XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 28th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #1
New Boot

Just bought a Canon XH-A1

Hi, i would be glad if i skipped all the "Why did you buy this camera if you're such a noob"
or comments like that.
But i don't think that will be a problem here!

Anyway, when i record with my canon xh-a1 ( standard settings ) it feels like it "laggs" on the computer.

I've a AMD 6000+, 4gb ram and a geforce 8600 GT ( this card sucks i know ) so i don't really think that's the problem here.

One more thing, i can't change the framerate settings in the signal menu.

I've a PAL camera.

Thanks for the help

Best wishes
// Christoffer Lantz
Christoffer Lantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoffer Lantz View Post
Anyway, when i record with my canon xh-a1 ( standard settings ) it feels like it "laggs" on the computer.
What is it you are actually doing on the computer when you notice this lag? Monitoring or capturing from the camera or viewing acquired footage? Is the "lag" a lack of sync between audio and video?

If it involves Firewire for example, there is usually some delay.

Quote:
One more thing, i can't change the framerate settings in the signal menu.
I've a PAL camera.
Are you still connected to the computer when trying to change the frame rate?

Welcome to DVinfo by the way. This is a marvellous source of information with very helpful people.

Last edited by Colin McDonald; June 28th, 2008 at 01:28 AM. Reason: + hello
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
What is it you are actually doing on the computer when you notice this lag? Monitoring or capturing from the camera or viewing acquired footage? Is the "lag" a lack of sync between audio and video?

If it involves Firewire for example, there is usually some delay.

Are you still connected to the computer when trying to change the frame rate?

Welcome to DVinfo by the way. This is a marvellous source of information with very helpful people.

Well i'm capturing, but the video afterwards ( is that right word? ) is laggy a little bit.

No the camera is not connected to computer while i try to change framerate, i don't even have "framerate" in the menylist.
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Well i'm capturing, but the video afterwards ( is that right word? ) is laggy a little bit.
Do you mean there is a lag between the footage as is plays on the camera LCD and as it shows up on the computer NLE capture window? This is normal for FW capture.

Or is the lag a time delay (lip sync) issue with the audio?

Quote:
No the camera is not connected to computer while i try to change framerate, i don't even have "framerate" in the menylist.
What's your main Power dial wheel set at?

Sure your camera is definitely set to TAPE not CARD? (PAL English manual p9 and 109)

You haven't switched off frame rate display in the custom displays options (PAL English manual p88)?
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Do you mean there is a lag between the footage as is plays on the camera LCD and as it shows up on the computer NLE capture window? This is normal for FW capture.

Or is the lag a time delay (lip sync) issue with the audio?

What's your main Power dial wheel set at?

Sure your camera is definitely set to TAPE not CARD? (PAL English manual p9 and 109)

You haven't switched off frame rate display in the custom displays options (PAL English manual p88)?

Well i can give you a sample, what format should i render in?
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Well i can give you a sample, what format should i render in?
You will not be able to post samples here yet. Can you put it on Vimeo? Then we can all see it and try to help.

It would help if we knew exactly what you were doing. OK, capturing you said, and we've got details of the hardware [AMD 6000+, 4gb ram and a geforce 8600 GT] but what about your OS and your editing software?

I'm on Mac so others will be better able to help you on the software side if that's the problem.

Any joy with the frame rate change?
Old June 28th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
You will not be able to post samples here yet. Can you put it on Vimeo? Then we can all see it and try to help.

It would help if we knew exactly what you were doing. OK, capturing you said, and we've got details of the hardware [AMD 6000+, 4gb ram and a geforce 8600 GT] but what about your OS and your editing software?

I'm on Mac so others will be better able to help you on the software side if that's the problem.

Any joy with the frame rate change?
Ah i see, well i use Microsoft Windows XP professional, with Sony Video vegas 8.0

Step by step then, i record with the camera ( standard settings )
Then i plug in the camera with firewire cable.

Then in vegas i take File > Capture video > Hd or SDI > rewind the tape, hit play and record then i stop record and stop the tape. Then i get a m2t file in my documents.
And here, when i preview the file i can see the "film" lagging or something like that.
Old June 28th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Ah i see, well i use Microsoft Windows XP professional, with Sony Video vegas 8.0

Step by step then, i record with the camera ( standard settings )
Then i plug in the camera with firewire cable.

Then in vegas i take File > Capture video > Hd or SDI > rewind the tape, hit play and record then i stop record and stop the tape. Then i get a m2t file in my documents.
And here, when i preview the file i can see the "film" lagging or something like that.
OK thanks. I'm going to post a link to this thread in the Sony Vegas forum and see if that gets some answers for you.

**OK that's done now. Keep an eye on this link and hopefully someone on Vegas will pick it up:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124849

Last edited by Colin McDonald; June 28th, 2008 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Added link
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi Cristoffer,
Just out of interest, what type of hard drive do you have in that machine of yours? With HDV, you will need to have pretty fast read/write speeds to handle the compression that the HDV codec uses. If your hard drive is not fast enough then that may cause you a lot of problems when capturing your footage. Ideally you would be using a raid array to capture your footage to in order to avoid any problems. I can't imagine it would be your NLE that is the problem, & your CPU should handle it fine, so i would be looking at your hard drive speed. The other thing that it may be is if the hard drive is neary full, this could create a very slow write rate & cause the footage being captured to be poor where by there are frames of footage that simply are not captured. There is a program out there on the net that will test yout hard drive speed so you might want to do a search for that to check your drive speed.
Also worth checking is if your video card is compatible with your NLE. Check that on the Vegas forum to make sure it works for others. If not, it may very well be the card that is causing stutter in the playback of the footage. Come to think of it, have you got as far as burning a disk from your footage yet? If so, does that play the same, or does it play well? If it plays the footage properly, with no sign of the problem you have described, then i would think that it is the card having problems playing back your footage in real time.

Hope this helps,

Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders