DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   deadcat hair do (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/125014-deadcat-hair-do.html)

Terry Hulf June 30th, 2008 09:44 AM

deadcat hair do

What do people do with their deadcat to get over the problem of hair showing on film, trim with scissors?

Colin McDonald June 30th, 2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Hulf (Post 901046)
What do people do with their deadcat to get over the problem of hair showing on film, trim with scissors?

You need it fluffed up to work properly, so you might need to raise the mic on a shockmount. I use a rode NTG-2 and the SM3 which usually keeps hairs out of shot. I also have a bracket from PagUK which raises it further and gives a couple of other mounting options.

By the way Terry, I hope you don't mind being added by me to the list of Brits on DVinfo:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=26774&page=7

Chris Soucy June 30th, 2008 02:41 PM

Hi Terry.....

This works a treat.

Extremely versatile.

http://www.rycote.com/products/softi...nt/softie_cca/

CS

Jim Miller June 30th, 2008 07:15 PM

I fluffed mine all up good then used an electric beard trimmer to shave the long single hairs off. These were the ones that were getting into the corners of the frame. Worked great.

Terry Hulf July 1st, 2008 04:25 AM

would the rode sm5 also help solve problem.

Paul W. Hazeltine July 1st, 2008 05:39 AM

I bought a Rode NTG2, SM5 & Deadcat for my XH-A1 and still suffered from wind noise even though the Deadcat was on top of the NTG2's foam shield on a recent trip to The New Forest in Hampshire.

I did not even realise that it was windy at the time as I was not wearing headphones.

I did think about buying a Rycote Softie but they are very expensive and there is no guarantee that it will work.

I don't think that there is a cheap answer to eliminating wind noise.

Paul W. H

Petri Kaipiainen July 1st, 2008 06:28 AM

If the mic, or the deadcat in this case, is showing you just have to pull it back, as simple as that. I use the Rode SM5 pushed into the mic holder from the back, no problems with Rode NTG-1 or Sanken CS3 with either deadcat or softie. Some people do not even come to think of attaching the holder "backwards" like this, but push the mic even more forward with the mount and then complain about it showing...

Deadcat or Softie is not enough in serious wind, or even medium. That's what the zeppelins & windjammers are for, but then you can forget on-cam mics.

Jim Miller July 1st, 2008 09:24 AM

Yes, I was using the SM5 backwards with the mic pushed all the way back but the long hairs still reached the frame. Shaving worked like a champ. Having said all that. The whole set up isn't that great in windy conditions.

Mark Fry July 2nd, 2008 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul W. Hazeltine (Post 901441)
I bought a Rode NTG2, SM5 & Deadcat for my XH-A1 and still suffered from wind noise even though the Deadcat was on top of the NTG2's foam shield on a recent trip to The New Forest in Hampshire.

I did not even realise that it was windy at the time as I was not wearing headphones.

I did think about buying a Rycote Softie but they are very expensive and there is no guarantee that it will work.

I don't think that there is a cheap answer to eliminating wind noise.

Paul W. H

The Rode "deadcat" seems to me to be less effective than the Rycote furry cover ("Windjammer"?). The Rycote Softie is better than either, but still only really useful in a light breeze. As mentioned above, a proper "blimp"-style basket is the best, but I have found a useful in-between solution. I have a Rycote Softie on my Rode NTG-1, and then a loose-fitting cover made of furry material that I bought from a craft shop. It works on the same principle as the baskets, creating a region of dead air around the mic, but not quite so thorough. On the other hand, it cost me less than £1 and an evening with a needle and thread, it is small and light enough to sit on the hot-shoe socket, and squashy enough to fit in my back-pack. In most conditions, it's fine. In strong winds, it sound like it's a windy day. However, without it, strongs winds swamp the soundtrack with wind noise to the exclusion of everything else.

Benjamin Eckstein July 2nd, 2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Hulf (Post 901046)

This question is just BEGGING for answers that are certainly not appropriate for this forum!

Denise Wall July 2nd, 2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Fry (Post 902088)
The Rode "deadcat" seems to me to be less effective than the Rycote furry cover ("Windjammer"?). The Rycote Softie is better than either, but still only really useful in a light breeze. As mentioned above, a proper "blimp"-style basket is the best, but I have found a useful in-between solution. I have a Rycote Softie on my Rode NTG-1, and then a loose-fitting cover made of furry material that I bought from a craft shop. It works on the same principle as the baskets, creating a region of dead air around the mic, but not quite so thorough. On the other hand, it cost me less than £1 and an evening with a needle and thread, it is small and light enough to sit on the hot-shoe socket, and squashy enough to fit in my back-pack. In most conditions, it's fine. In strong winds, it sound like it's a windy day. However, without it, strongs winds swamp the soundtrack with wind noise to the exclusion of everything else.

I know this is a lot to ask, but could you possibly post a picture of this set up?