DVD Timecode window dubs from A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:10 PM   #1
New Boot

DVD Timecode window dubs from A1

I'm wondering if anybody has come up with a workflow for burning DVDs with the A1 tape timecode displayed on recorded DVDs. I don't want to caputure the tapes into my NLE. Just burn directly from the AV1 ouput to my DVD recorder for a quicker turnaround.

I can use the Display On button, but can't seem to limit to JUST the time code. I've gone through to customize the display menu to get rid of all I could. But annoying icons remain. I can't use any timecode readers to make window dubs, like Horita's, because there's no embedded timecode in the video outs from the A1. I'm under the impression that this was a deliberate decision by Canon to make those that want to real window dubs must buy the G1.

Any way to make clean window dubs without capturing to an NLE with the A1?
Michael Garrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't know if this will help you any, but page 89 of the manual explains how to superimpose the date and time onto the recorded footage. It's Custom Function 20.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Julian, that's for when recording... which is a permanent overlay.

Michael, I think you'll just have to do some temporary adjusting in the custom function menu for display to get just the TC to overlay. If I were you (if you think you're going to be doing this on a frequent basis) I'd use another SD card before making changes & save the CF settings to the card... this way when you want to do this kind of thing, just insert that card.

Or maybe you can save it as a CF 2 function. Never had the need but I think it can be done.

edit* Michael, I think I take back what's said above. I was curious & tried this myself. Try hitting the DISP button while in playback mode. On mine at least, the only thing displaying on the LCD/VF is the TC. Of course for overlaying to video out you need to activate TV SCREEN in the Display Setup menu.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM   #4
New Boot

DVD Timecode window dubs from A1

Thanks for the SD card idea Bill.
I've been through every menu selection in the Display Custom functions, and there is no way to get rid of the "SP" Time left icon and corresponding tape graphic, "DV with 60i" icon "16bit" icon, and the "Cfn3." I really think that Canon could easily have a timecode only display on the A1, but chooses not to. It would be an easy firmware upgrade.

The only think I've found is to get somethin like the HDconnect-LE from Convergent Design ($1100), it will add timecode from Firewire input from the A1 to the composite out and then connect that to a Horita timecode window dub inserter ($350). I may end up doing this. Still cheaper than buying the G1. I'll try experimenting with the firewire output to see if there is any difference. As my DVD recorder has a 4-pin FW input.

I've got clients that frequently want just a quick dvd dub of the tape, with timecode, to preview, then complain that the icons cover the faces on some shots.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:32 PM   #5
New Boot

<<edit* Michael, I think I take back what's said above. I was curious & tried this myself. Try hitting the DISP button while in playback mode. On mine at least, the only thing displaying on the LCD/VF is the TC. Of course for overlaying to video out you need to activate TV SCREEN in the Display Setup menu.>>

Exactly. I can't seem to get rid of the other icons I mentioned in the above post when activating TV SCREEN during playback for the video output. And I've turned off everything in the custom display fields.

Mmmmm. Last year I was able to achieve close to what I wanted, by linking two camera's with firewire. I played the tape with CAM A (XL-1) and had to record a new tape with REGEN timecode with CAM B (A1) and output that through V1 with the TV SCREEN on to my DVD recorder. While in Record mode the TV SCREEN display is more minimalistic, with just timecode and the time remaining icon. But a cumbersome process to say the least!

Here's what I've managed just with Custom Display options.
Attached Thumbnails
DVD Timecode window dubs from A1-display-out.jpg  
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Ok... I just realized my post earlier was while in playback but NOT playing a tape. Pushing the DISP button once only showed the TC & the stop icon. I just tried it playing a tape & sure enough it disappears. However, from your pic... the only items mine doesn't show is the 16bit icon & the SP icon, but that's because mine is in 1080i, not SD. All else is the same & I suppose that's as good as it gets. Too bad positions can't be changed... like TC in lower corners, etc.

I do agree there are many things that can definitely be fixed through a firmware upgrade... several of which should be mandatory (won't go into details here) but Canon seems to have ignored our requests from the wishlist posted here and seems as though they decided to take some of those suggestions & implement them in their new product line and simply left the A1 users out in the cold. It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth :-\
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders