on-board mic not working after XLR use at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 7th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #1
New Boot

on-board mic not working after XLR use

i bought a shotgun mic for an event that i shot a week ago. Everything went fine and all the audio recorded A-OK. Afterwards, i unplugged the XLR and put the mic away, then tried to shoot a little extra footage using the on-board mic, and now i'm not getting any audio signal. I scrolled thru the audio menu setting and turned the XLR input off, set the audio level switch to auto (i also tried manual settings) and flipped the switch above the XLR inputs to Mic. Still no dice. The on-board mic has worked with no problems at all (about 6 months) up until i used the XLR mic.

Anyone have any thoughts about a setting i'm missing or something that might work? thanks in advance

-gardner
Gardy Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

It sounds like you did everything right. What about the ON/OFF switches on the front of the XLR module? (under where it says +48v). Maybe double-check the XLR setting in the menus to make sure it actually switched to OFF.
Old July 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #3
New Boot

both are set to off.
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Have you tried performing a reset?
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #5
New Boot

i did a factory reset in the menu, and i also tried the reset button. Still nothing. Going to give Canon tech a call and see what they have to say about it, but keep the suggestions coming if you have more.

Thanks for the input so far!

-gardy
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Gardy...........

This is so obvious I can't believe it's the cause, but I'll put it out there as the only other thing I can think of which could kill the on - boards:

You don't have anything plugged into the Aux mic input under the handle, do you?

My last gasp option is the Mic Att. switch under the LCD "home" position, tho' that wouldn't kill it completely.

Let us know how this pans out.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders