A1 and Avid Media Composer -capture probs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 8th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Major Player

A1 and Avid Media Composer -capture probs

I have access to a PC that is running Media Composer 2.8.1. As I only have Pinnacle Studio 11 at the moment I have been trying as many different editors as possible.

I just can't figure out MC? Just how do you get the video off your camera into the program? Considering it's from the same stable as Studio 11, it is so w-a-y different. Everything I try I just get no input detected (even though Studio detects the same firewire port OK).

In the Capture preferences all that is mentioned is a 'deck' which, I assume also means the camera, although I can't be sure. but in toolset\capture it states no deck present

If I go toolset\capture and click on the red square with the white circle (capture) button I get a pop up saying Exception no tracks have been chosen - well, don't you have to get the damn video off the camera before you can select a track? Then - as a quirk of this software (or me) I click on A1 and A2 and the little V button (ie Channel selection) and I get ' no input signal'

I know this has been designed to stop amatuers muscling in on professional territory so please, someone, give me a clue before I chuck it all in and go back to stills!!!
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Major Player

If you've never used an Avid before, you have to configure the deck/camera before capture. If there's no template present for the device you're using, try one of the generic templates. Use the online help (F1).

Btw, Avid & Pinnacle are two different beasts. Neither is similar like the other.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #3
New Boot

You should be able to get this to work, unless its a versioning thing. I was last using MC 2.8.3 along with the XHA1 and all was working fine.

I've since upgraded to MC3 and am using a Sony HDV deck now, but if I remember correctly it was fairly straight forward (lol, but then Avid bites you in the a**e sometimes if it doesn't like your hardware despite whatever other NLEs you have running perfectly).

Sometimes Avid can be a bit picky as to the order of how you turn things on and off, and how these peripherals occupy FW ports etc. So, ensure when you boot your system that nothing is occupying the ports. Plug your camera into the FW port and turn it on. You should get he ding-dong as XP (I'm making an assumption here) recognises the hardware. Now launch avid.

You need to configure the deck. Open a project, ensure it's NOT shot on 25F, avid doesnt like it (I use speedEdit for those projects). Assuming you want either DV or HDV 1080 50i then go to the settings and open deck configuration and ensure you only have one channel set up in there. Should say Firewire on OHCI on the left, and probably Generic DVDevice - PAL on the right (You're in the UK I assume from your tag).

If nothing's there, use "add channel"

Double-click on the box that says "Generic DVDevice-PAL" and select Canon from the device drop down on the left, and the XHA1 from the drop down on the right - leave the pre-roll to 6 seconds. If it's not there all I can assume is that it's a versioning thing and perhaps it wasnt added until 2.8.3 (Upgrade?).

Once you've done that I would recommend opening the capture tool and looking uder the deck transport controls to see whether the camera is in the drop down. If it isn't, click the dropdown, and select "check decks".

That should do it, I hope. You DO need to select what tracks you're digitising as in V, A1 and A2 prior to digitising.

I hope that gets you somewhere.

Shaun
Shaun Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys for your input/advice.

I think this must be a 'versioning' issue I still can't get anything from the Canon to MC, here's what I've done:

Start Canon in VCR/Play Mode - Windows goes da-dum recognising the firewire connection.
Start Media Composer \ new project
Go to Deck Configuration, select Firewire and then add deck
There is no XHA1/G1 listed only a H1 or Generic - Ive tried both.
In Generic, I've also tried all the options DVbasic/PAL and DV device/PAL
click apply
Open Toolset \ Capture
In the source section the drop down box shows the Generic device but the black window above the play/rewind/FF buttons says NO DECK still!

I select tracks and try hitting capture, but nothing happens The usual pop-up says No Input Source or I get No deck selected.

Frustrating, especially when you conside the price of this software against Pinnacle Studio 11 which works OK You'd think Avid would have a word with their stable mates on connecting a Canon!
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #5
New Boot

After you have added Generic DVDevice-PAL, in the deck configuration, open the capture tool, open the drop-dwon and hit "Check Decks" (I think thats what it's called).

See if that gets you anywhere.

incidentally, when you have Generic DVDevice selected, do you even have deck control? Try hitting shuttle/play/FF

Shaun
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Williams View Post
After you have added Generic DVDevice-PAL, in the deck configuration, open the capture tool, open the drop-dwon and hit "Check Decks" (I think thats what it's called).

See if that gets you anywhere.

incidentally, when you have Generic DVDevice selected, do you even have deck control? Try hitting shuttle/play/FF

Shaun
Yes tried that, it just says No Decks, and hitting the control buttons does nothing either :-(
Oh well, perhaps I now need to try the intermediate (between MC & Pinnacle Studio) Avid Liquid, see if I can get a trial of that
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #7
New Boot

Hmmm. Shame. You could just upgrade MC to 2.8.3 if thats still possible.

Shaun
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #8
New Boot

Just read this on the avid forums website. It would seem that the XHA1 wasnt qualified until the June MC3 release.

http://avidtechnology.custhelp.com/c...622958&p_olh=0

Click on where it says XHA1 and it'll tell you whats supported.

I'm still sure I got her working on 2.8.3 though - first thing I checked!

Sorry I'm not bearing better news.

Shaun
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:05 PM   #9
New Boot

So, if I have 30f footage and I want to work with Avid Media Composer 3-- does anyone know is there a workaround?

I have a bunch of footage I already shot at 30f and it is critical I use it for a project I am working on.
Ryan M. Christensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders