DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Movement blur (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/125591-movement-blur.html)

John Cambell July 8th, 2008 10:21 PM

Movement blur

Ive been using my xh a1 and tried many different settings, but it seems that I always have blurr on my video whenever I move the camera even if its a smooth slow movement, or if something is moving that I am filming, which is not good for me because I shoot surfing so I am panning and the thing I am filming is always moving. Is there any settings that I could use so that I wouldnt get this "movement" blur?

Marcel D. Van Someren July 8th, 2008 10:42 PM

Are you using any special presets? If any of them have Noise Reduction 2 set to high, you will get blur or trailing video on just about any movement.

Also, if you're shooting in 24F and move quickly, you'll get blur.

Finally, if you are on a tripod, make sure Image stabilization is turned off.

That said, are you seeing the blur when you play it back on the LCD monitor or after you've edited it? I've had one occasion where I accidently dropped 24f footage on a 60i timeline and rendered it out and the video seemed soft and tended to blur on motion.

Khoi Pham July 8th, 2008 10:42 PM

Make sure type 2 noise reduction is off.

Steve Lewis July 8th, 2008 11:24 PM

Hi,
Does the blur happen when you are in IAF auto focus mode? I have found that when I have my camera in Instant AF, the focus constantly racks in-and-out of focus if i am panning it (either tripod mounted OR handheld) I am planning to send my camera into the Canon service depot in a few weeks, so we'll see if i have a messed up cam or if it is normal for the course!

Bill Busby July 9th, 2008 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 904830)
Make sure type 2 noise reduction is off.

Actually it's NR 1 that blurs/lags horribly no matter if it's L, M or H. But still... NR 2 doesn't play nice either.

Marcel D. Van Someren July 9th, 2008 06:15 AM

Yes you are correct. I meant to type NR1 but for some reason I wrote NR2. Good catch. That being said, I haven't noticed any lag in the low setting.

John Cambell July 9th, 2008 03:54 PM

Ya I will turn the NRs off if they are on and I have been using image stabilization and IAF when I was using a tripod and I will turn those off also. What do you think is the best shutter speed I should use so I dont get any blur and its smoother?

Jim Press July 10th, 2008 05:13 AM

Traditionally you'd shoot 1/48th sec shutter, but it does depend on what you're shooting (fast or slow movement) and light (ie exposure).

Mark Fry July 10th, 2008 09:27 AM

You probaly know this already, but... 50i/60i will give less blurred motion than 24F/25F/30F. If you use auto, 50i is matched to 1/50th shutter, 60i to 1/60th. You will get less blur, but at the expense of a certain stutteriness, by reducing the shutter speed. For moving trains, I normally use 50i and 1/50th. I find the combination of 50i and 1/120th acceptable but anything faster looks unnatural. HTH.