Truecolor wedding trailer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old July 12th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Hey Guys,
I know this is not perfect but, here is a trailer I did for a wedding using only the truecolor preset. I am very happy with what I am able to do with this preset. If I'm doing beauty stuff outside that is non-person related, I'll use VIVidRGB. Anyway comments welcome, but this one is in the books...
Bill
http://www.vimeo.com/1311472
Bill, I think your music choice SUCKS!

Just kidding. You know I like battle/epic/_________ music and you are right that brides love it too. That is who we are there to please. I'd just let the music comments roll off shoulder and continue to do what you do and filter out comments you weren't looking for. All these guys do great work and on different levels and different types...... Anyways, not beating a horse here, trying to give you support. :)

As far as the preset, this I think it looks really good. REALLY! You know my initial thoughts on it from back some time ago. I have never played with it again... thought I may do so now after seeing that. I know it won't match my Sony's, but I'm about to dig a grave for those puppies soon. ;)
Old July 13th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
... there is no wrong music.
Oh yes there is... usually when the CLIENT picks the music! :D Man oh man! I believe the majority of clients need musical guidance. It seems as though they choose stuff they've heard on someone else's wedding video years ago & feel that's what it's supposed to be. I think if the situation where the client wants to choose music, they should actually choose something they LISTEN to & fits their personalities. I've done far too many edits where I scratch my head in disbelief saying to myself "Surely they don't really listen to this crap!" :)
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
I've done far too many edits where I scratch my head in disbelief saying to myself "Surely they don't really listen to this crap!" :)
Me too Bill. And I get to thinking how come they like my style of editinga and shooting when our musical tastes are so far divorced? (Can I use that word here?) Sometimes I'd like to do a same edit, different music DVD, to show them - but alas, there's never time in life.

tom.
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Phil, Russ,
and Phil, there is no wrong music.
Bill
What?? There is such a thing as wrong music and this is a perfect example. Do you put music on a lower level of importance than visual aesthetics? You can't take the soundtrack for Braveheart and switch it with The Terminator and expect no one would notice. If you say music is subjective, then you must say your image quality is subjective and therefor your entire production is so too.

One can't just film something and slap any music to it and expect it to work. Do you think E.T would be what it was without John Williams?
I liked your shots, but the music does not reflect the feel of the images. The music is too big for the current edit of the video. If you want to keep the music, then it might help to use a lot more slow motion shots and give us some black and white imagery too.

Treat music as 50% of your final product, your beautiful shots and story deserves it.
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #20
Regular Crew

No such thing as the wrong music??!! LOL!!

Jaws - "the shark approaches,the terror builds....queue the banjo music!"
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #21
Major Player

Guys,
This thread has gotten way off topic. Sorry for the derailment and the defensiveness. Thanks everyone for the comments. Jerome is right, we all need to move on. It is great that those of us here can have this type of heated discussion based on the fact that we all do quite a bit of work. This has been rare moment of drama here on DVinfo. Kindof exciting.
Bill
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Guys,
This thread has gotten way off topic. Sorry for the derailment and the defensiveness. Thanks everyone for the comments. Jerome is right, we all need to move on. It is great that those of us here can have this type of heated discussion based on the fact that we all do quite a bit of work. This has been rare moment of drama here on DVinfo. Kindof exciting.
Bill
Oh I was only joshing with you!

Now then,on topic, I thought the colours looked great. The whole thing was very good,professional.

.......just not sure about the music ;o)
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I shot another wedding this weekend with Trucolor and got to test out it's low light abilities. The ceremony was in an old stone church, very dark with heavy stained glass windows. Most light came from the chandeliers overhead. To make matters worse, the church was very strict on videography and we would be banned to the balcony during the ceremony. I was quite concerned how it was going to look and I didn't want to push the gain too high. I set the gain to +3db and, as I was shooting 24f, I set my shutter speed to 1/24.

The results were excellent. I was allowed to shoot from the back of the church during the processional. It was very dark there but I got nice footage. Even zoomed all the way during the ceremony, the image held up. Colors were right on, very natural. At +3db gain, noise is not a factor. The only change from the Trucolor default settings is that sharpness was increased to -5.
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #24
Major Player

and Alan,
The thing that has amazed me about the Trucolor is the ablility to adjust in post. I mean I can really crank the levels without any real degredation in the image. I shot this one in a n old catholic church, and you can see my position. I can tell you that I shot it at 6db and was able to adjust the levels to get a nice image without introducing alot of grain. I was in 60i and at 1/60.
Bill
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Gentlemen's code of online forums: If you're going to post your personal work online and put yourself in a position in which random people critique it, do not be rude when you're defensive-- unless it's warranted. In this case, music critiques did not warrant rudeness on behalf of the original poster.
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #26
New Boot

Hi Bill,

In your original post you said you were looking for feedback on your trailer. From your other posts i know that you wanted to know more about the preset you used but in my opinion it is impossible to watch this and not get distracted by the bad choice of music.

There is definitely right and wrong music to use for and edit and i'll try to explain why. When editing a video it is a whole audio and visual experience and it's all about telling a story. Your audio is part of that story as well. If the majority of people closed their eyes and you asked them what kind of video they think goes with your music they would not say wedding.

The track is too powerful and strong for a wedding. The beating drums in the background are reminiscent of an ancient armies call to war. The string instruments strokes are very violent and not something suited to a wedding. The track in in a minor key which are used to create songs and music that is sad or solemn, and which is also used in the funeral march by Choplin.

Make your music "fit" better by using faster tempo tunes in a major key for active happy videos, or slower tempo major key tunes for happy less active videos. For sad depressing stuff use a minor key tune and for sad or bad stuff with alot of action use minor key with a faster tempo. Some countries interpret music differently, but with the spread of western music to all parts of the world most people have the same perception of music
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #27
Major Player

Geesh! I wished people would drop this whining about the music bit. This is a TRAILER for godsakes! Get over it. Plus as stated before in several posts, he wasn't looking for music criticism, editing criticism, etc., he was only asking what people thought of the preset, nothing more, nothing less.
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #28
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Geesh! I wished people would drop this whining about the music bit. This is a TRAILER for godsakes! Get over it. Plus as stated before in several posts, he wasn't looking for music criticism, editing criticism, etc., he was only asking what people thought of the preset, nothing more, nothing less.
I am not whining Bill, I am just trying to help the other Bill out by giving him tips on how to selected music that fits. Its constructive criticism and I hoped would be of benefit to him. If I post my work online i feel like I have got a result if someone finds fault with it and tells me how to fix it.
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #29
Major Player

But it's all subjective anyway.

I didn't feel the music was as bad as many are making it out to be, for what the piece was intended for. By the way, there's more non-minor chords in that score than there are. Listen again. It's a score for triumph! Not death & destruction :)
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #30
Major Player

Guys,
this really is a dead topic. I appreciate the interest, but we've all kissed and made up a week ago. btw the bride loves the piece, and called me the other day just to make sure it gets on her final DVD. You guys go do something productive now, this is over.
Bill
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders