Truecolor wedding trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old July 9th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Truecolor wedding trailer

Hey Guys,
I know this is not perfect but, here is a trailer I did for a wedding using only the truecolor preset. I am very happy with what I am able to do with this preset. If I'm doing beauty stuff outside that is non-person related, I'll use VIVidRGB. Anyway comments welcome, but this one is in the books...
Bill
http://www.vimeo.com/1311472
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hmmm? Not entirely sure that that music fits?
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Major Player

same old story, some get it some don't. I'm tired of worrying about about whether the music mystically "fits" or not. I have no idea what that means, and more importantly, I have no idea what fits or what doesn't. I found a new piece and tried to use it. What about the preset? I thought it looked pretty good. I was concerned about the "softness" and the "blue cast" that I had heard about, but didn't see any except you know when the door opens inside and all of that. Let's keep on topic.
Bill
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I thought the colors looked good, I didn't really notice any blue cast. Some of the interior shots felt a tad blue but I believe that was a white balance issue with the mixed lighting, impossible to avoid. And I thought the music fit very well for a cinematic wedding trailer. I would like to see a more aggressive color grading for a piece like this, the music demands it! But that would defeat the purpose of seeing the Trucolor preset. Nice Work.
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Major Player

yeah,
You know I think color grading may be the nex thing that I learn. I think though, that once I start charging and receiving a premium for my work it will be necessary. Right now I am performing more of a service than an art form :) I know it is cyclical. Thanks
Bill
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nice clip. Trucolor seems to be a good preset for wedding work. I have used it for the last couple of weddings that I have done and am impressed with the results. The best part is how natural the skin tones are. I used Panalook2 previously and always felt theatfaces looked a bit too red. Some have complained about the blue cast, but I don't see it in your clip, or in my footage either.
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I liked it Bill! .. except for one shot - as they walk down the aisle they're just moving too fast. Seems like they can't wait to leave - could that be slowed to advantage?
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Bill you said, "comments welcome." So don't get mad when people comment or criticize your video.

I made a short clip that I posted on this forum and here's what Steven Dempsey said about it: "I felt the music was way too big for the shots. I imagined people engaging in battle in slow motion with lots of special effects and action. What you were shooting here had a much more delicate feel and I think you should chose music that speaks to that."

I think that is what we mean when we say the music might not "fit."
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Major Player

But Russ,
Here's the issue. I don't know how to make it fit, or what that means. Secondly I was looking for comments on the preset, not necessarily the clip. "It doesn't fit" is way too vague to be helpful... The spirit of the comment is just as important as the content. Brides love the battle music and so do I. I have found my work to be well received by brides and not so much by videographers, so I am sensetive when post on forums.
Bill
Old July 11th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I think the music fits fine. There is a bit of irony here. This track is actually the same track from the boxing show "The Contender". Hell I might use this track in my wedding video in a few months lol.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...LE7emECw&hl=en

Last edited by Mike Andrade; July 11th, 2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: bad link
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hey Bill, This definity told a story and was well done. Being brand new to Video, I can appreciate the value of such well done productions. Seeing this demonstrates to me what it should look like, if that makes any sense? As for the music fitting??? Well, I thought it was good.
Am I to assume there is a full version of the Wedding you are doing or going to do for the couple? I bet they are indeed happy judging by your trailer.
Thanks for sharing and at the same time teaching newbies like me what it should look like.
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Bill, you made a very good trailer. The TrueColor preset worked very well to give natural looking skin tones. TrueColor is probably one of my favorite presets and I used a tweaked version on a regular basis.

I'm am sure that your client will be more than pleased with your video. After all, they've seen shaky consumer cam footage and your video is in a completely different league. However, if you don't want your video critiqued by those who know a little something about video, don't post it on this forum.
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #13
Major Player

to be fair, Bill was asking for comments related to the preset.

Music is very subjective - in this case, I think with the tongue in cheek battle ready trailer approach, it's isn't so out of line. And if the clients are really liking it, then it's working.

I watched 'There will be blood' thinking - at times, this music is off the wall, and on occasion felt like a sound track from the next theatre was getting mistakenly inserted. And yet it was touted for it's unique approach to the composing.

Having said that, I think it's great that we have a space where we can get feedback from so many knowledgable people. And if someone wants to comment on music, editing, lighting etc then it should be encouraged and no one should be getting defensive on either side.

As with anything, you take the comments, and then make your own decisions on the final work as it is yours. I find, coming from a design background, that if more than a few people point out something as confusing, or awkward in some way, then I give it close attention.

Trish
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
same old story, some get it some don't. I'm tired of worrying about about whether the music mystically "fits" or not. I have no idea what that means, and more importantly, I have no idea what fits or what doesn't. I found a new piece and tried to use it. What about the preset? I thought it looked pretty good. I was concerned about the "softness" and the "blue cast" that I had heard about, but didn't see any except you know when the door opens inside and all of that. Let's keep on topic.
Bill
OK Bill, I think the music sounded like something out of the 'The Oman'. Same old story? Maybe the same old story for you because you keep picking the wrong music!
"I have no idea what fits and what doesn't..." - obviously.
"Any comments welcome..." - obviously not.
Old July 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #15
Major Player

Phil, Russ,
My problem with that particular comment was that it was vague and seemed subjective. I don't mind comments about things that I understand no matter how negative, but the same old story is that music is subjective. I can use all of the Thomas Newman and Jim Brickman and stay safe and always be applauded, or follow my gut on things and sometimes step out of what some people subjectively think "fits" I am where I am today from using negative comments where I could understand waht they mean and how to improve. Ironically, the end result is that our target audience sees about %30 of what we see. We spend so much time trying to please each other that the true point is left behind. I love a great discussion, but if there's a point to a negative comment, please jsut try to make it helpful. I was however, looking for comments on the preset. Sorry I was vague on that point. and Phil, there is no wrong music.
Bill
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders