Critical : Grip Belt Broken !!!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Or pulled out of the camera case by the strap, something to be aware of.

On location I sometimes put a male XLR plug in mic 2 to add a buffer.

Cheers.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:26 PM   #17
Major Player

I wouldn't call it a defect, but it could've been designed better. Definately..
I've got fat hands, and am probably going to end up with a camera on the floor one day..

When it happens to somebody else, it's probably their fault. But when it happens to you personally, it's usually a defect...

@Nancy....

The only people i know that repair Canon equipment are Sun Camera Services...
My XH A1 is currently in repair, and it's been a week..I should get it back next week, and have been told by my local camera store that I'm lucky to get it that quick...
They're quotes and diagnostics are free.

I'd be interested in knowing the cost of that fix.
Good luck..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:01 AM   #18
Trustee

Thankfully Canon have finally recognised that the design is flawed. I just hope that the solution is going to be made available worldwide.

Support - High Definition Camcorder - XH A1 - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:29 AM   #19
Trustee

You told me so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear about this happening to your camera. I just checked mine to make sure it looks OK.

I think it would be more accurate to say YOUR XH-A1 has (may have?) a manufacturing defect. Just like my Rode SM3 shockmount which is being replaced under warranty.

Maybe I seem just a bit pedantic, but until I'm aware of evidence of hundreds of people with failed grip belt mountings, I don't think it's appropriate to imply that this is a major issue with Canon XH-A1s in general.

I like to use the shoulder strap for security when it's not on sticks - and yes I know what many pro users think about that.
Well. I was wrong, and not for the first (or last) time.
Antonio Guarnieri, if your listening, sorry!
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Same thing just happened to me - XHA1

Shooting a wedding at the weekend and the grip belt base snapped on my XH A1 whilst in front of bridal party!

Camera fell on to my leg (I tried to kinda catch it with my foot) and then landed in the dirt and bounced down two steps.

Scared the **** out of me. Picked it up - all ok - just some scratches to the canon .8 adaptor and a few dings to the on board mic.

Thanks to Richard for the posted link to Canon were they talk about the doubled up Grip Belt cover option. I'm in Australia but I am assuming that that can be done here too.

My A1 is almost 3 years old and has had alot of use. I recently got the wide adaptor which probable put more stress on the cover.

I would recommend everyone keeps an eye out for cracks and if using an wide adaptor to consider taking the camera in for the counter measured modification from canon which is free. This is a double loop instead of a single. Prevention is better than a cure.

I am just thankful that the grip cover did not break a few minutes earlier when I was shooting at the edge of a large pond!
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Canon recall

I just got both of my A1s grip belt loops replaced with quick turn-around time. Thanks Canon!
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders