How long till the XH successor is released? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Major Player

How long till the XH successor is released?

Im needing another XH-A1 and have been wondering how long until the successor camera is released. It has been out about 2 years now. The H1 was released 9 months before the XH series and the H1 has recently been updated to the H1a.

The H1a updates were mainly small feature and firmware updates, but some were very useful and would easily carry over to the XH series.

Does anyone have any informed rumor yet?
Old July 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Major Player

It will be 2 years this November.....I think they would update in the 2nd half of '09.

Jim Martin

ps-I think/hope we'll see a H2 before the above listed update.
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Trustee

Jim's response makes sense. Although I have no inside knowledge, life cycles for technology-based items generally are two years or less. Manufacturers that try to lengthen that do it at significant risk to their market share numbers. Consumers chase feature content, even at this level and if you don't add features you fall behind.

The key negative against the A1/G1 is the solo servo functionality. They've fixed that, to some degree on the new H1 models. It would be reasonable to see that in updated A1/G1 models. This fix would remove a deal-breaking negative for a significant number of potential buyers, potentially increasing market share.

I would be surprised if there weren't announcements at IBC and NAB next year.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Contributor

In the past Canon has done minor upgrades after about 3 years, haven't they? Sony used to do it after the first year or so with their 2/3" chip cameras. These upgrades usually are only minor, although in the case of Canon's XL1, the XL1s model lost a lot of that early softness, so that was pretty major.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #5
Wrangler

I agree with Bill. From Canon's past record one could infer upgrades to their top-end camcorders on about a 3-year interval.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders