DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Brand New XH-A1 - What Not to Do (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/125806-brand-new-xh-a1-what-not-do.html)

Matthew Ebenezer July 12th, 2008 02:24 AM

Brand New XH-A1 - What Not to Do

Just returned from a shoot in Emerald which is located in Central Queensland, Australia.

My almost brand new (2 or 3 week old) Canon XH-A1 is a little worse-for-wear. I don't want to give too much away so you'll have to watch the video ....

http://www.vimeo.com/1325720

All I can say is "Ouch ...."

Props to whoever can come up with the best title for this .... Mine is:

"2nd Hand Camera For Sale - Hardly Used"

Cheers,

Matthew.

Chris Soucy July 12th, 2008 02:40 AM

Great video...........

Lousy location.

Heck, just give it a shake and a brush down, be as good as new.

Well, ok, slightly second hand, but hey, use it or lose it!

CS

Noa Put July 12th, 2008 02:46 AM

"from dust till dawn" might be a nice title. Did the camera suffer any damage from this? I can imagine you should get a "cleaning tape" message after this :)
It was nice to see the 20x zoom in action in the beginning though.

Ian Wright July 12th, 2008 02:58 AM

How did you get the sound level right? Presumably you couldn't do a sound check beforehand. Or was it just on auto?

Great video!

Ian
www.festivalpreviews.com

Chris Soucy July 12th, 2008 03:05 AM

Bugger................

I missed the "title" bit (when will I learn to read all posts to the end?).

Hmm.......

"Did you just fart.....?"

CS

Henrik Joensen July 12th, 2008 03:38 AM

I would suggest you post it for the grain complainers with a remark to look at
the imagery after the dust settled. Pretty good colours and clarity after such
an abuse. Impressive footage - hope you get it back to life.

Dan Keaton July 12th, 2008 06:14 AM

"Mint XH A1 - Low Hours - Never Used for Capture"

Annie Haycock July 12th, 2008 08:40 AM

It should be a lesson to all those who don't believe in using a UV filter for lens protection! My usual problem is slow accumulation of salt from sea spray.

Garrett Low July 12th, 2008 09:50 AM

"Have'n a blast with my new XH A1"

Bob Safay July 12th, 2008 09:58 AM

Canon!!! Thats what I love about them. They are Built like tanks, does it still work? You may want to send it in for a cleaning. HA

Tripp Woelfel July 12th, 2008 10:08 AM

"Done blowed up!", although it might lose something in translation for those not familiar with the southern US racing vernacular. There's always, "Ka-blammo!" but I must give credit to David Hobbs for that one.

To follow up on the camera protection comments, in addition to a clear or UV filter this A1 would have benefited from a full camera cover. Could be either like the Porta-Brace product I think they call something like body armor, or even a simple rain cover.

Doesn't look like your A1 took it too badly, but you might want to spend some quality time with a can of compressed air to get the grit and dust out of the tiny places. You might also want to keep a head cleaning tape nearby.

I'm rather anal about dirt and my A1. I just threw away a brand new tape because I dropped it in a dirt parking lot.

Dennis Murphy July 12th, 2008 01:57 PM

Canon XHA1... it's da bomb! *groan*

Michael Wisniewski July 12th, 2008 02:19 PM

I think you need to double-check that cam anyway, the footage was a little grainy. Did you make sure the AGC was turned off?

Michael Wisniewski July 12th, 2008 02:50 PM

Personally if I was selling, I'd just spin it. "Real man's camera - not for wusses." I got a couple of hard-headed manly pollacks in my family that would buy it just on that alone. As for me, I'm going to run over and cradle my XH A1 like a baby.

Allan Black July 12th, 2008 09:28 PM

The A1 really rocks!

A good case for using a full rain cover and some foam protection for the on board mic. I'm paranoid about dirt too, it causes tape dropouts. Out on airfields I cover all the switches with black low adhesive tape.

I'm somewhat surprised they let you set up that close. Not the same situation, but years ago in Canberra shrapnel decapitated a young girl watching the old hospital during a *controlled* blow up.

Cheers.