A1 Problem!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 15th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Major Player

A1 Problem!!

Hi guys, My A1 is giving me problems, Every time i film a brick house specially the line between the bricks. They flicker and vibrate. I can shoot the same object with my DVX and no problem. It is also happens with some shirts that have horizantal lines. Pls help, i have a project to finish but don't know how to fix this problem. thx
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Why don't you post some footage so we can see the problem. Also, what custom profile are you shooting with?
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #3
Major Player

I am using Vivid by steve. i will try to post a sample soon. i tried every options i can think off but no answers!!
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I assume you're shooting in DV mode. Flickering horizontal lines in NTSC are almost always caused by too much vertical resolution; the lines between the bricks show up in one field but not the other, leading to flicker. You may be able to cure the footage you've already shot by adding a tiny amount of vertical blur in your editing software. A mild diffusion filter
on the lens might work as well.

Try this: Go into the Vivid custom preset. Lower the numbers for SHP and DHV. Shoot a test with your problem bricks and some other subject. View the tape and see if the problem is reduced without making everything too soft. Adjust and test again until you find a good compromise. Save the changed setting with a new name.
Dick Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Go Cycle

You received some good advice here. There is also another possibility. Try taking INSTANT FOCUS off as well as playing with the STABILIZER and see if you observe a change. Otherwise it is the typical NTSC stairstepping or horizontal shimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiflom Bahta View Post
Hi guys, My A1 is giving me problems, Every time i film a brick house specially the line between the bricks. They flicker and vibrate. I can shoot the same object with my DVX and no problem. It is also happens with some shirts that have horizantal lines. Pls help, i have a project to finish but don't know how to fix this problem. thx
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Do you happen to be shooting in 30F or 24F. I noticed the same problem when you do pan and zoom out together.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders