Sachtler DV-6sb or FSB6 for A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Trustee

Sachtler DV-6sb or FSB6 for A1

OK, I've resigned myself to the fact that I need to upgrade my tripod system. I've pretty much decided on a Sachtler. I got to try an FSB6 but I was wondering if any could tell me if it is worth spending the extra money on the DV-6SB? Right now I don't run much else beside the XH A1 and a Senn shotgun, I am considering getting an external monitor.

Obviously if I'm going to spend this kind of money I am hopefully looking at the last tripod purchase for a LONG time. Any suggestions, experience, or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I've got the DV 6SB since one year now. Good quality, solid product. I also have an older Manfrotto 501 / 525 with a friction head and still use it for "quick and dirty" jobs. Also quite nice and much cheaper, although panning is not as smooth as with the Sachtler of course. The manfrotto 503 fluid head might be worth a try. If I had to buy a tripod now, I'd probably also consider the new Sachtler 'Soom' system (3 tripods in one, if the anouncements are correct).
Jan Luethje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #3
Major Player

after reading this post, http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=84267 , i've decided to order the Libec-38M. i'm wondering: if this tripod seems to be stable, and provides both smooth pans and tilts for a basic XH-A1, and also can handle a 'loaded' camera up to 17 lbs., why would anyone spend 3x's more for a tripod?
just my rather cheap-ass eeerrrr...frugal opinion! if i had the dough i would buy the Libec AND a Merlin!!! (or more hard drives... or more mics... or more cheese burgers...)
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #4
Major Player

correction: apparently the Libec 38 holds up to 18 lbs. you could duct-tape a lot of cheese burgers to the A1, if you were so inclined...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the info. I started cheap (I mean real cheap), and have been slowing going through tripods. Right now I'm using a Cartoni ActionPro which does a decent job but there are some definate drawbacks. I've also tried a Miller DS10, Vinten Visoin 3. They are both very nice. I did briefly get to play with a Libec 38 which was nice but honestly there is a pretty big difference between even the Cartoni I have and the Libecs & Bogens. Then the next step is into the Miller/Vinten/Sachtler range. I really notice a difference when zoomed in and panning and tilting at the same time.

Also, do CF legs make a big difference over Alum? Weight isn't a big issue since I usually don't move much once I set up. The main thing I'm looking for is rigidity. I've got a Miller with CF legs (rated for a camera that's heavier than the A1, that's why I'm not able to use it) and they do seem a bit stiffer than the Alum on my Cartoni. Not sure if it's the build or the material.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders