Seattle Graffiti at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Seattle Graffiti

Found a really interesting spot in the industrial area of Seattle with a legal graffiti wall. It's a bit boring, but it was a good opportunity for me to practice now that I finished reading the manual and realized how to get my gain set to -3. I am very pleased to see the grain disappear at -3. This was my first time using magic bullet and so far I like the results. I shot this in 24f and edited it in FCP. Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated, as I am trying to learn and improve my technique.

Thanks everyone!

http://vimeo.com/1391997
Matt OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:25 AM   #2
New Boot

Hi! For me it was not boring at all. Did you slow down the footage? What App did you use?
It would be great to show the painter from a different angle, let say from the 45* right showing him and the wall. Good movie anyway.
I don't like Vimeo because of the lack of image smoothness, I prefer ExposureRoom.
Krystian Dobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Krystian, Did you shoot HD or SD? Did you notice andy flickering around the horizantal lines when shooting the brick wall. if you live in seattle pm me so we can chat more about the A1. thx
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't know where you got the idea it was boring... that was some beautiful footage. Nicely done.

What was the song? It fit very well.
Robert Huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey everyone, thanks for you responses. Much appreciated. I did not slow down any footage, however I did speed up the second clip of the construction crew. I see why you may have asked that thought, especially looking at the first clip of the construction crew the combination of 24f and their movements looks slowed down. (possibly the result of hourly pay, hah).

To edit the footage I used FCP studio 2. I used FCP to speed up that second construction clip.

I agree that the painter would have been more interesting from another angle, however upon asking if I could film him he then acted very oddly, dancing and whatnot. The only way I could get a shot of him working was from a ways away, out of his view.

I shot this in HD. I didn't notice any flickering lines, not to say that they may not be there. I had the camera on a tripod for most of the shots and the image stabilizer turned off (not sure if that would help with the flickering)

Thanks everyone, comments/criticism is welcomed and appreciated, it really helps me get better at this crazy film game.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Huber View Post
I don't know where you got the idea it was boring... that was some beautiful footage. Nicely done.

What was the song? It fit very well.
Thanks a lot, I guess I sifted through about 15 minutes of staring at walls after filming on site for about two hours so I've seen the same shots over and over, hah.

The song was by citizen cope, titled "let the drummer kick" I thought it had a bit of an urban sound, while still being slow enough to accompany many motionless shots.

Thanks again!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I thought the video was great with very good color and sharpness. It was put together well, I wish I was that advanced to be able to have done it.
I did notice the audio seem to skip as if the left channel cut in and out a few times but it may have been the head phones on my end.
Very nicely done and full of ideas for this newbie (me). It is always good seeing stuff like this so I know what things are supposed to look like. Nice going Matt and Thanks.

Tim
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cee View Post
I thought the video was great with very good color and sharpness. It was put together well, I wish I was that advanced to be able to have done it.
I did notice the audio seem to skip as if the left channel cut in and out a few times but it may have been the head phones on my end.
Very nicely done and full of ideas for this newbie (me). It is always good seeing stuff like this so I know what things are supposed to look like. Nice going Matt and Thanks.

Tim
Thanks Tim. I noticed the audio, unfortunately after I had exported everything. I think i may have gotten a bad rip of the CD. I need to get into the habit of more closely "proofing" my finalized stuff before I export it. I never seem to notice before the hour long render/export.

Trust me, with every minute of shooting you'll get better. My method of trial by error has been a fun path filled with many eureka moments after long periods of fiddling and failure. My advice to you is to talk to other people, on here, vimeo, etc. Find a look you like, ask them how they do it, ask for tips, they should understand you're learning and be glad to help. From there you can tweak the processes and settings to cater towards your interests and make it your own.

Good Luck!
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Nice colors.
Any custom presets, settings, sharpness etc.
Maybe it's the magic bullet, but it looks very clean.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt. Care to share your setting on this particular video? Again, nicely done!
Tim
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cee View Post
Thanks Matt. Care to share your setting on this particular video? Again, nicely done!
Tim
My very slight modification of panalook 2 consists of only turning the sharpness to -8. In Magic Bullet I used Looks to soften the edges, then I turned down the luminance. I was really pleased with Magic Bullet Looks, I'm definitely going to tinker with it more.

I really like the panalook 2 combo with 24f. It is the closest I have gotten to the film look thus far. Everything in this video was shot with -3 dB Gain, no ND filter, and a white balance I set on location.

Thanks for you comments Tim.
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Serious mate, that is one awesome piece.
I would be very proud if it were my work !
Jayson Corcoran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders