A1 to video mixer w/S-Video and composite inputs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 26th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #1
New Boot

A1 to video mixer w/S-Video and composite inputs?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can feed live video from an A1 to a mixer that only has s-video or composite inputs?

I'm wanting to connect an A1 during a live shoot to a DataVideo HS-500 mixer but the mixer only has s-video and composite inputs.

Thanks!
Chris
Christopher Benes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Chris. The A1 has 2 composite outputs you can use for this. V1 is a combined audio/video jack socket for which a cable is provided with the A1 package. V2 is a BNC socket so a BNC-RCA adapter will allow you to use a standard composite cable.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you Richard. I'll give the V2 composite connector a shot.

Is there an effective way (and is it worthwhile if so) to convert the camera's component out to S-Video in order to boost the quality over composite? Is that possible with a conversion cable or adapter and will an increase in the analog video be perceptible?

Chris
Christopher Benes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Benes View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can feed live video from an A1 to a mixer that only has s-video or composite inputs?

I'm wanting to connect an A1 during a live shoot to a DataVideo HS-500 mixer but the mixer only has s-video and composite inputs.

Thanks!
Chris
You can use this, a component to s-video adapter from Infocus for $20 (including shipping):
http://www.buy.com/prod/infocus-vide.../10352650.html

It's definitely worth trying. It's made to plug a component-only ouput players into older tv sets that only have s-video in.

I would think the next reasonable step would be to go to the Datavideo SE-800AV. It has component inputs, but it's more money ($2700) and it's not as portable as the HS-500:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...put_Audio.html

You might also call DataVideo. They are very helpful. Maybe they can suggest another way to go from the component on the camera to the s-video on their mixer and keep the video quality as high as possible.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #5
New Boot

I found SVideo to component adapters on Ebay for $2.45 with free shipping.. Take a look:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...deo&category0=

Not sure if they would work in the reverse though.
Stephen King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen King View Post
I found SVideo to component adapters on Ebay for $2.45 with free shipping.. Take a look:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...deo&category0=

Not sure if they would work in the reverse though.
Definitely worth trying. the $2.45 includes shipping.

I don't know if the InFocus version has shielding or something extra to make the higher price worth it. It doesn't look like it, but it does have separte wires instead of a ribbon cable.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

These adaptors all appear to be 7 pin. S Video is 4 pin ...... ????

Is there an adaptor?

Richard
Richard Tatti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders