firestore ....rookie question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 29th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #1
Major Player

firestore ....rookie question

I have the XH-A1(love the camera) and am considering a 60 gb firestore unit.

I'm completely new to this stuff, am a hobbyist only(this is my grampa cam), am using PC windows XP, using adobe primiere elements 3.0. My editing needs are pretty basic.

Which 60 gb firestore unit will work with my A1?

I've been reading threads and am ending up more confused. I see B&H has two models one at about $799 and one closer to $1,400 not available right now...both 60 gb.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rog Lee

By the way, I haven't been on this forum for quite some time but find your help very valuable.

Thanks again.
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Get the Canon specific unit...the FS-C model. I just bought it and have been using the 60Gb model. Like you I searched a fair amount for information on these devices. What I discovered is that if you want all of the functionality that the A1 is capable of, you need the FS-C unit. BTW I have a XH-A1 as well.

Canon's 24 and 30 "F" frame rates are proprietary. Although some of the other Firestore units will work to a degree you will not get the complete functionality of the A1.

I've only had it for a week but I can tell you the advantages of tapeless are huge. Zipping back to the last take (or any other take) is instantaneous. Transferring all of the shoot right to your media drive works out timewise to 10 minutes for FS-C or.....1 hour from tape.

If you are using your camera professionally this is a device that will pay back quite quickly in timed saved.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Guy,

The information is appreciated.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders