Feature Film Entirely with A1+Brevis at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 31st, 2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Feature Film Entirely with A1+Brevis

I finally got the Trailer for my film up on my website. The film is a SAG "Ultra-Low Budget" shot in 14 days. The entire film was shot with the Canon XH-A1 equipped with a Brevis 35mm adapter. It was a lot of fun to shoot, not so much fun to edit, but an all around great experience. Now we have the task of trying to find someone to buy it and distribute it, wish us luck!

You can see the trailer HERE: http://www.higherdefinitionmedia.com...log&Itemid=111

And here are a few production stills:
Attached Thumbnails
Feature Film Entirely with A1+Brevis-img_9794.jpg   Feature Film Entirely with A1+Brevis-img_9791.jpg  

Feature Film Entirely with A1+Brevis-img_9783.jpg   Feature Film Entirely with A1+Brevis-img_0080-1.jpg  

Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM   #2
New Boot

Can't see any video

Hi Anderew,

Wow, an entire feature film with the A1! We've all got to see this, but we can't see any video. I'm using Safari as my browser (Mac 10.4 OS). Let me know what we need to do to see some footage. Good luck with distribution. I sincerely mean that...

Best regards from Austin, TX,
Jack
Jack Colmenero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Just watched the trailer... looks bloody great. Very 'Breakfast Club'.... you could have a winner there.

Good luck with it, what are your plans with it?

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Looks like solid work, very much in the 'Breakfast Club' genre, which is not a bad thing. Good job on the production. Hope you have plenty of luck with the distribution.
John Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Looks good to me too.
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

looks good, very film like
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks! Yeah, Breakfast Club is a good way to sum it up... just 23+ years later, pg-13, testing not detention, and an happy ending... but other than that.... yeah, Breakfast Club.

We hope to sell it. All our actors where SAG and we went through all the proper channels, permits, insurances, legal, etc. So we have that going for us. We'll see.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Waite View Post

And here are a few production stills:
Nice use of child labor in the second picture... : ) Ha, looks great man... I love that final shot where the girl says "No Class..." and then the kid screams... Classic... Bet of luck to you...
Old August 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Waite View Post
We hope to sell it. All our actors where SAG and we went through all the proper channels, permits, insurances, legal, etc. So we have that going for us. We'll see.
It looks good!

Which SAG contract did you use? Is it SagIndie? If so, which one? What was the budget?

Thanks!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 01:45 PM   #10
Major Player

doug, haha yeah, our boom op gets it all the time, he's 19, but looks like he's 12. He was a good boom op for being so short.

Jack, good question on the contract, I have no idea... I had no part in that end of the production, just all the technical part mostly. As far as budget... I would have to guess somewhere around 70-80,000... so much was donated, so it's tough to say, again I didn't have much part in that.
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Single camera?

Hi,

I own a XH-A1 as well

I'm starting work on our feature-- initial shooting in San Francisco Area Aug 24-25.

Could you tell me if you used single camera?

I'm wondering if it would save a lot of time to be shooting say, a medium and close up
at the same time for later editing, or one cam on each actors in a two shot.

Along this vein, I'm interesting in a trade exchange with other A1 owners who would want to do the same thing. I lend you mine for your shoot, you lend me yours for mine, with a deposit while camera is borrowed of course to protect everyone.

Alain Lumina
magicalrealismfilms.com
Alain Lumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 05:32 PM   #12
Major Player

I have two A1s, but I only used one at a time. One camera is fine for simple dialogue scenes. Really you only need two or more for stunts. My second camera was used exclusively for exterior shots and b-roll... nothing more.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Wow, impressive trailer! It's inspiring. Congrats!

Did your strategy involve much use of the in-camera video image settings? Was the boom mic connected directly to the A1? If so, did this work well? Did you use other mics? ADR much?

You mentioned that editing was not so fun. Would you use the A1 differently if you were to do it again?

Many Thanks,
Steven
Steven Glicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Steven, I used a Sennheiser ME66 for all the interior stuff... and a some exterior, and a Sennheiser G2 Lav for the very wide exterior stuff. Everything went strait into the camera (since I didn't have dedicated sound guy) and it worked out pretty well. Not much ADR if any... I was such a stickler with sound, if we had any problems with sound we just did another take.

Didn't use any presets, camera set to factory... hindsight, I would now... but I did all my grading in Apple Color, so it's ok. The biggest problem I encountered was with the A1s tendency to purple fringing, if you look really closely you will notice it in some shots... especially the VERY quick shot of the kid cheating by peeking at the girls test... look at his left shoulder. That problem is totally solved now with the Cinevate flip module for the Brevis. The camera equipped with the Brevis Flip has NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with Purple Fringing or CA. I wish I had it on this film, oh well.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM   #15
Regular Crew

just out of curiosity

I know this is off topic, sorry....

Regarding a one camera shoot.. when you are shooting a scene where it involves dialog between 2 or more actors, do you shoot the scene several times at different angels so that you can go back and forth between the actors as they talk during editing?

I hope to be shooting a short film myself one day so I am curious as to the different filming techniques people do when using just one camera.

-John
John B. Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders