DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Feature Film Entirely with A1+Brevis (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/127110-feature-film-entirely-a1-brevis.html)

Andrew Waite July 31st, 2008 10:12 PM

Feature Film Entirely with A1+Brevis

4 Attachment(s)
I finally got the Trailer for my film up on my website. The film is a SAG "Ultra-Low Budget" shot in 14 days. The entire film was shot with the Canon XH-A1 equipped with a Brevis 35mm adapter. It was a lot of fun to shoot, not so much fun to edit, but an all around great experience. Now we have the task of trying to find someone to buy it and distribute it, wish us luck!

You can see the trailer HERE: http://www.higherdefinitionmedia.com...log&Itemid=111

And here are a few production stills:

Jack Colmenero July 31st, 2008 11:12 PM

Can't see any video

Hi Anderew,

Wow, an entire feature film with the A1! We've all got to see this, but we can't see any video. I'm using Safari as my browser (Mac 10.4 OS). Let me know what we need to do to see some footage. Good luck with distribution. I sincerely mean that...

Best regards from Austin, TX,
Jack

Jonathan Shaw August 1st, 2008 12:12 AM

Just watched the trailer... looks bloody great. Very 'Breakfast Club'.... you could have a winner there.

Good luck with it, what are your plans with it?

Jon

John Lewis August 1st, 2008 02:17 AM

Looks like solid work, very much in the 'Breakfast Club' genre, which is not a bad thing. Good job on the production. Hope you have plenty of luck with the distribution.

Richard Gooderick August 1st, 2008 02:24 AM

Looks good to me too.

Alain Mayo August 1st, 2008 11:21 AM

looks good, very film like

Andrew Waite August 1st, 2008 12:13 PM

Thanks! Yeah, Breakfast Club is a good way to sum it up... just 23+ years later, pg-13, testing not detention, and an happy ending... but other than that.... yeah, Breakfast Club.

We hope to sell it. All our actors where SAG and we went through all the proper channels, permits, insurances, legal, etc. So we have that going for us. We'll see.

Doug Davis August 1st, 2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Waite (Post 914967)

And here are a few production stills:

Nice use of child labor in the second picture... : ) Ha, looks great man... I love that final shot where the girl says "No Class..." and then the kid screams... Classic... Bet of luck to you...

Jack Walker August 1st, 2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Waite (Post 915244)
We hope to sell it. All our actors where SAG and we went through all the proper channels, permits, insurances, legal, etc. So we have that going for us. We'll see.

It looks good!

Which SAG contract did you use? Is it SagIndie? If so, which one? What was the budget?

Thanks!

Andrew Waite August 1st, 2008 01:45 PM

doug, haha yeah, our boom op gets it all the time, he's 19, but looks like he's 12. He was a good boom op for being so short.

Jack, good question on the contract, I have no idea... I had no part in that end of the production, just all the technical part mostly. As far as budget... I would have to guess somewhere around 70-80,000... so much was donated, so it's tough to say, again I didn't have much part in that.

Alain Lumina August 1st, 2008 02:24 PM

Single camera?

Hi,

I own a XH-A1 as well

I'm starting work on our feature-- initial shooting in San Francisco Area Aug 24-25.

Could you tell me if you used single camera?

I'm wondering if it would save a lot of time to be shooting say, a medium and close up
at the same time for later editing, or one cam on each actors in a two shot.

Along this vein, I'm interesting in a trade exchange with other A1 owners who would want to do the same thing. I lend you mine for your shoot, you lend me yours for mine, with a deposit while camera is borrowed of course to protect everyone.

Alain Lumina
magicalrealismfilms.com

Andrew Waite August 1st, 2008 05:32 PM

I have two A1s, but I only used one at a time. One camera is fine for simple dialogue scenes. Really you only need two or more for stunts. My second camera was used exclusively for exterior shots and b-roll... nothing more.

Steven Glicker August 2nd, 2008 09:28 AM

Wow, impressive trailer! It's inspiring. Congrats!

Did your strategy involve much use of the in-camera video image settings? Was the boom mic connected directly to the A1? If so, did this work well? Did you use other mics? ADR much?

You mentioned that editing was not so fun. Would you use the A1 differently if you were to do it again?

Many Thanks,
Steven

Andrew Waite August 2nd, 2008 01:28 PM

Thanks Steven, I used a Sennheiser ME66 for all the interior stuff... and a some exterior, and a Sennheiser G2 Lav for the very wide exterior stuff. Everything went strait into the camera (since I didn't have dedicated sound guy) and it worked out pretty well. Not much ADR if any... I was such a stickler with sound, if we had any problems with sound we just did another take.

Didn't use any presets, camera set to factory... hindsight, I would now... but I did all my grading in Apple Color, so it's ok. The biggest problem I encountered was with the A1s tendency to purple fringing, if you look really closely you will notice it in some shots... especially the VERY quick shot of the kid cheating by peeking at the girls test... look at his left shoulder. That problem is totally solved now with the Cinevate flip module for the Brevis. The camera equipped with the Brevis Flip has NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with Purple Fringing or CA. I wish I had it on this film, oh well.

John B. Nelson August 2nd, 2008 02:53 PM

just out of curiosity

I know this is off topic, sorry....

Regarding a one camera shoot.. when you are shooting a scene where it involves dialog between 2 or more actors, do you shoot the scene several times at different angels so that you can go back and forth between the actors as they talk during editing?

I hope to be shooting a short film myself one day so I am curious as to the different filming techniques people do when using just one camera.

-John