Built in microphone removal - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 7th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Sorry about that, I appreciate that a mic hanging on by a thread is somewhat more drastic than a bit of wobble. Thanks for the reassurance. It was just me, my insecurity and naturally pessimistic nature...

(Note to self: Must book another appointment with therapist.)
Robin Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
How do you get perfect sync without genlock?
Bill I just set my time code on "Free-Run" it's accurate enough for me. Once both camera's are synced together the time code will run all day long even when the camera is off until you reset it. Solved so many problems for me, only discovered this after 4 years of filming! Could kick myself, my work load is halved just by that.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #18
Regular Crew

infra-red placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Haycock View Post
... if I could use the infra-red from behind the camera (and it doesn't look as though you can) I would.
Aha-- good to hear I'm not alone. I've had numerous times when I may have used it IF it would work from behind the cam, but never in front.

But the technique described by Nicholas was something I never thought of-- good idea. But rats, now I have to run out and buy a 2nd A1 in order to utilize this $5 piece of plastic... [g]
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #19
New Boot

Just thought I would update this. In the end my indecision caused the problem to resolve it's self - the mic came so free that I could just take it off. It turns out that it is held on by having a plastic plate inside the handle at the end of a stem. This had snapped - hence the microphone falling off. The two ribbon cable connections just pull free and then one extra wire pulled free too.

It should be pretty easy to fix (after getting the handle open) But I'm planning on leaving it off for now as I suspect it will only fall off again due to the rough treatment my camera tends to get... I'll stick with using an external mic when I need one.

Thanks for all the comments.

Stuart
Stuart Martindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #20
Major Player

Hubert,

Where did you get the picture of the parts to the handle? Do you have more pictures of the whole camcorder or is the whole parts cataloge downloadable from somewhere?

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Bo, i ordered a external micmount from the Canon parts department. They didn't understand wich external micmount i needed, so they emailed me that picture....
It's all i have. Maybe when i order some more parts.

On a sidenote, they charged me almost € 40,- for that micmount. And that because only the thumbscrew on top was messed.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders