DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Built in microphone removal (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/127458-built-microphone-removal.html)

Stuart Martindale August 5th, 2008 01:21 PM

Built in microphone removal

Hello,

I have been using an XH-A1 for about a year - mostly I use it for shooting white water kayaking. Generally I have taken to carrying the camera between my legs in a padded drybag (there isn't the space for a hard case and often the rear of boat is filled with overnight gear hence the camera being shoved in the front). As a result of it's fairly rough treatment the built in microphone is now properly loose and has stopped working, superglue and a foam support to the lens hood helped for a while but it was never going to last.

I'm not especially worried about the loss of the mic (or the red recording light) as I've never captured useful sound at the side of the river and I have a separate mic for speech etc. The problem I have is that the microphone, although not working, is still attached to the camera by the connector cable. At the moment when I use the camera, every time I get it out the bag I have to push the microphone back into the rubber mount from where it will be dangling so I can use the lens rings. Its not a big problem - but it would be nicer just to take the microphone off completely. I was hoping the cable would just unplug and I could put some tape over the end but it doesn't obviously seem to.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it a bad idea to open up the handle and see if I can remove it? I could just glue and tape it back up periodically but it would be neater if I could take the thing off.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Stuart

David Beisner August 6th, 2008 09:11 AM

well, you could always just cut the wire... keep in mind that you'll also be losing the infrared sensor for your remote control.

Annie Haycock August 6th, 2008 09:30 AM

Does anyone actually use the infra-red remote control? I guess it's useful if you are in the picture yourself, but any other time? I use a lanc remote control, but if I could use the infra-red from behind the camera (and it doesn't look as though you can) I would.

Nicholas de Kock August 6th, 2008 10:22 AM

IR is useful.

Yes I use the IR all the time to sync my two XHA1's time codes. One remote, two cameras and they are perfectly in sync for multi-cam shoots. You will be losing a lot of resale value by cutting that wire, use super glue and stick it in place forever.

Bill Pryor August 6th, 2008 10:38 AM

How do you get perfect sync without genlock?

Bill Busby August 6th, 2008 12:12 PM

Come on Bill... that's the "pseudo sync" method :D

Colin McDonald August 6th, 2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 917263)
Come on Bill... that's the "pseudo sync" method :D

It's making the best of available resources - sort of "kitchen sync".

:-)

Annie Haycock August 6th, 2008 02:31 PM

Nicholas

Not having the opportunity of multi-cam shoots - and not having two cameras of the same type/make anyway - that's one use I wouldn't have thought of.

Stuart Martindale August 6th, 2008 03:47 PM

Thanks for the replies - cutting the cable had occured to me but seemed a bit drastic. I can't think that I would miss the IR too much (it may well be broken along with the connections to the microphone anyway - I haven't checked).

I may try glueing it in place more firmly, superglue didn't seem to stick to the rubber well when I tried before. I thought about cutting the rubber out and using epoxy to stick the mic on solidly, but that would probably make opening the handle near impossible in the future so maybe not a great solution if something more critical needs repairing.

Allan Black August 6th, 2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie Haycock (Post 917198)
Does anyone actually use the infra-red remote control?

Annie, I use remote controls to shuttle and cue tapes for capture. I put the cams further back out of the way and that saves reaching over to fumble with their buttons. Thanks to my dear non video wife for that trick, it just came out of the blue. She says long term it'll save wear on the buttons so I won't need a new cam sooner :(

Cheers.

Bill Watson August 6th, 2008 06:16 PM

If there's enough length you could cut the wire and solder on a micro plug and socket.

... or simply re-solder the wires later using short lengths of heat shrink for insulation.

It's only audio.

Brian Boyko August 7th, 2008 01:16 AM

Have you tried calling Canon and asking how much it would be to have it serviced, or to send you a replacement part with instructions for DIY?

Hubert Duijzer August 7th, 2008 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe this can be of any help. From the picture it doesn't look to difficult to open the handle.

Robin Lambert August 7th, 2008 07:23 AM

Ever since I've had my XH-A1 (oooh, about a week now) the built-in microphone has been "wobbly". Is this normal or should it be rock-solidly attached to the handle?

Nate Haustein August 7th, 2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Lambert (Post 917624)
Ever since I've had my XH-A1 (oooh, about a week now) the built-in microphone has been "wobbly". Is this normal or should it be rock-solidly attached to the handle?

Don't worry, it's normal. This thread addresses a slightly more drastic case!