Widescreen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 7th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Widescreen

When I watch a lot of movies or other videos and footage the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen are a lot bigger then the ones I have when I film with the Xh A1. Is this just effects added to footage or do there cameras record in that kind of widescreen, and if so is there a way to set the A1 to capture in that kind of widescreen so that the black bars are bigger and the picture seems wider???
John Cambell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cambell View Post
When I watch a lot of movies or other videos and footage the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen are a lot bigger then the ones I have when I film with the Xh A1. Is this just effects added to footage or do there cameras record in that kind of widescreen, and if so is there a way to set the A1 to capture in that kind of widescreen so that the black bars are bigger and the picture seems wider???
Hi,

These are simply just different aspect ratios:

Standard def is either square (4:3) or widescreen (16:9)

HD is widescreen (16:9) which also know an 1.78:1

Big movies these days shoot in an even wider aspect ratio: 2.35:1 (bigger black bars)

you can shoot 2.35:1 with the xha1 by just simply turning on the 2.35 guide in the menus of the A1. Then, when you are working in your NLE, just simply matte (add black bars) to the video to leave the 2.35 frame.

Did that make any sense?

-Steve
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Why would you want to do that?
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lewis View Post
Hi,

These are simply just different aspect ratios:

Standard def is either square (4:3) or widescreen (16:9)

HD is widescreen (16:9) which also know an 1.78:1

Big movies these days shoot in an even wider aspect ratio: 2.35:1 (bigger black bars)

you can shoot 2.35:1 with the xha1 by just simply turning on the 2.35 guide in the menus of the A1. Then, when you are working in your NLE, just simply matte (add black bars) to the video to leave the 2.35 frame.

Did that make any sense?

-Steve
Interestingly, before native 16:9 CCDs became prevalent, you could get 16:9 anamorphic converters for 4:3 cameras with a 1.33:1 squeeze, as 1.33:1*1.33:1 (same as 4:3) comes out at about 1.76:1, nearly 16:9.

However if you put a the same anamorphic squeeze on a 16:9 camera, (i.e 1.78*1.33) you get 2.36:1, which is scope (or near as...) I wonder if anyone has actually done this.

I also think about putting such an adaptor on a 16:9 HDV camera rotated 90 degrees in order to get an high resolution 4:3 image. I wonder if anyone has actually done this.

Dylan

Last edited by Dylan Pank; August 7th, 2008 at 02:01 PM.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
Why would you want to do that?
Dramatic/artistic effect.

It does make a difference. Whether the difference is for better or worse depends on how well your material lends itself to the chosen frame.

There's also the fact that most people associate 2.35:1 with "real" movies, out of habit -- the majority of audiences have seen most movies, and not much else, framed this way. So if you're trying to get a "film look" then this can be an effective step in that direction, even though the reason is so subjective. It looks like that letterboxed DVD we watched last night -- oooo it's like a real movie! :) (Don't laugh too much, it works.)
Rich Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders