slow motion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 27th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Vertical resolution explained

Greetings.

I'd like to take back my initial query regarding the vertical resolution in my previous post.

Today I found thread more than a year old which may shed some light on it.

If you are interested please go here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...est-mtf50.html

Another informative discussion is here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...er-dvfilm.html

Thanks.

Last edited by Pavel Tomanec; August 27th, 2008 at 02:15 PM.
Pavel Tomanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #17
Regular Crew

It helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Stucker View Post

The frames per second are not affected by the shutter.
For example if you are shooting 24fps, and the shutter is 1/250, the frame is exposed every 1/250 of a second, but not more frames are being created.

does this help?
Thanks, yes helpful. I guess the bottom line is to stick to 24/25f for my work (I like documentary with narrative feel) and for planned slow motion change the frame rate to 50/60i, shutter ideally at about 1/100-120.

Does anyone has any experiences with shooting for fast motion with XH A1... just asking before 'pulling the camera trigger'.

Thanks,
Pavel

Last edited by Pavel Tomanec; August 27th, 2008 at 11:33 PM.
Pavel Tomanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Bill and Adrian.

Thanks for your reply. I guess where I'm confused is say if there are 24 or 30 fps second going through the camera, that means that each frame is "exposed at a 1/24th or 1/30th of a second= shutter speed.

Adrain, I think the shutter speed example you give would be closer to 1/24th sec, not 1/250. (One second of 24fps film divided by 24 frames= 1/24th sec.)

If you shoot 100fps, than each of the 100 frames is exposed for 1/100th of a second, shutter speed.

In the above samples, it takes either 24, 30 or 100 frames to make one second of moving footage.

I also assume, and correct me on this if I misunderstand, that each "frame" is exposed imediately following the last frame like this: _______________ with no lagtime that might be like this: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bill, without sounding really off here, is it possible to even do slow motion WITHOUT shooting at a higher shutter speed in a video camera?

Thanks for your patients.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Whittington View Post
Hey Nagisa, if you're using Final Cut 6 and have Final Cut Studio 2 and want the best slow motion possible then use Motion - it will give you the best results no matter which frame rate you're using.
Ya know, I have Final Cut Studio 1 with FCP 5, etc., and as far as I can tell, there is no slow motion function in that first version of Motion. How can that be possible in a program called Motion!? Am I missing something?

I've been with FCP since FCP1. I've been through a lot of upgrades. I'm waiting for FCS3 before upgrading from FCS1. It's more expensive than it used to be with the whole set now.

I've been using FCP5 for slow mo with okay results at 60i but would love something better with the software I already have.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #20
Contributor

Jonathan, you're still confusing shutter speed and frame rate. Shooting at a higher shutter speed will not give you slow motion. Shooting at a higher frame rate will. But the only relatively cheap cameras that do that are the HVX200 (up to 60 frames per second) and the Sony 1/2" chip EX, which also goes to 60 fps. Unless you use one of those cameras, or a film camera or more expensive camera that does variable frame rates (like Varicam), the only thing you can do is do it in post. There's some software called Twixtor that allegedly helps give better slow motion than standard NLE software.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #21
Major Player

Bill.

Thanks for working with me on this. I moved this topic back to:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/open-dv-d...rates-etc.html

See my response there.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 05:44 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Potts View Post
If you want brilliant slow motion and are using FCS2 then chuck it into motion and set the retiming option to optical flow
Hi Jo,

I'm working on a MAC Pro with Final Cut Pro. Last week I saw a clip on VIMEO with brilliant slow motion footage. All made in Motion and because I have some very nice footage i want to bring down in slow motion I tried to do the same thing.

I got the speed down to 25% and the exported .mov clip has been generated after waiting quite a few hours. (more then 10 hours....) The result was indeed very good. But, after that I tried to bring the clip in to FCP again and it kept on crashing. So, no luck there for me.

I was wondering if you could tell us about the workflow you use in motion to make slow motion footage. And can you re-import the new footage in FCP?

I'm VERY curious about that.

Thank you very much in advance,

Gert
Old August 31st, 2008, 06:27 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Troubles in Motion

Hi,

I second to this - issues with Motion, last night I spend several hours to export from FCP 6 to Motion 3 footage for slowmo and because I do not have installed contents so it seems there was no possibility work with it at all. Or I am doing something wrong...

I tested demo of Twixtor 4.5 but the rendering time is a quite killer - couple of minutes = several hours. Will test more and share my findings (will take sometime).

Thanks.

Pavel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders