HELP! Glitchy Footage. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 12th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Wright View Post
I already have a bigger hard drive with free space. The problem is I have 80 gigs of material, that needs to be recovered from a hard drive that only has 40 gigs. It is impossible for all 80 gigs to be recovered, since some of the disc base had have to been written over already.
So you had captured, moved the 40 gigs to another drive, then captured another 40 gigs?
Old August 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger View Post
So you had captured, moved the 40 gigs to another drive, then captured another 40 gigs?
basically.
Douglas Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I just uploaded a sample clip of the problem I'm having with the glitches.

Could you guys please check this out so I can be sure it's not just a problem with my computer, it's in .m2t format because that is what sony vegas defaulted it at: https://www.yousendit.com/download/Q...QXBFd2V4dnc9PQ
Old August 12th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #19
Major Player

Just to confirm the first time that you played them and they were ok were the files located on the your computers HD or on this external HD. How do you connect FW400 / 800, USB etc?
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw View Post
Just to confirm the first time that you played them and they were ok were the files located on the your computers HD or on this external HD. How do you connect FW400 / 800, USB etc?
I uploaded them from the DV tapes using Firewire cable. I played back several clips and never noticed any glitches. I then disconnected the internal hard drive from the first computer and connected it to the second computer. I transferred the clips. I noticed a few glitches, but just though it was a minor codec problem on the second computer or something. I then reuploaded them to the first computer's internal hard drive with a direct copy and paste.... it glitched on that computer now also. Obviously, when I transferred the clips from the first drive to the second drive, the files somehow became corrupted.
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #21
Major Player

Definitely sounds like the data is corrupt, I personally would just rent / beg / steal / borrow another cam and re-capture. I'm sure it would be quicker and easier.

Sorry didn't download the file as it is pretty big
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #22
Major Player

and just to verify, this wasn't on the tape when you played it in the camera?
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
and just to verify, this wasn't on the tape when you played it in the camera?
Bill
no, I didn't notice any of it while uploading and I also played back several clips on the computer and didn't notice it. It wasn't until I switched drives.

Might pick up a small canon hdv from a store or something and take it back the next day. Hopefully I can talk my way out of a restocking fee.
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #24
Regular Crew

alright, I "bought" a hv30 to use for a few days.. and I'm recapturing my footage. On first glance, it appears to be slightly grainier than the original capture that I did.... is this a problem with a setting or is the hv30 just grainier than the A1 by default?
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #25
Trustee

Douglas... It's unlikely. With firewire you're not capturing video, you're copying a data stream from the tape to disk. Capturing either from the A1 or the HV30 should make no difference as neither units decompress/recompress the footage during the transfer process. Both units should simply pass the data to the computer without doing anything to it.

BTW... Your problem is undoubtedly data corruption. I saw the exact same problem when I copied data from one USB drive through a hut to another USB drive. I reformatted both drives and took the hub out of the mix and have had no problem since.

I think you might be making more work for yourself with all of the cycles you're going through.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #26
Inner Circle

The Seagate FreeAgent gave me the same results as what you are describing. I checked back on an original version of the file on a different HDD and it was 100% fine.

Check your connections. If that's not the case, use a different HDD.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
Douglas... It's unlikely. With firewire you're not capturing video, you're copying a data stream from the tape to disk. Capturing either from the A1 or the HV30 should make no difference as neither units decompress/recompress the footage during the transfer process. Both units should simply pass the data to the computer without doing anything to it.
Oh, I found out the problem was with the software I used to capture it, when I used the same software, I got the exact same results :)

Quote:

BTW... Your problem is undoubtedly data corruption. I saw the exact same problem when I copied data from one USB drive through a hut to another USB drive. I reformatted both drives and took the hub out of the mix and have had no problem since.

I think you might be making more work for yourself with all of the cycles you're going through.
Yeah, the other data was definitely corrupt. I'm capturing it straight to the drive I plan on editing and doing effects on this time, and I'm going to make sure to back up all my video files on dvd.

I've learned a valuable lesson of being better safe than sorry. Atleast it happened at the beginning of the project rather than the end because I would have wanted to kill somebody then... lol

thanks for the help guys.
Douglas Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders