HELP! Glitchy Footage. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HELP! Glitchy Footage.

After renting the A1 for the weekend, I transferred the files to my other hard drive and noticed that the files were glitchy. However, I did not notice this BEFORE transferring it to the HD on my other computer, but I erased the files that were on the other computer, so it's nothing I can do to get it back. I still have the tapes though.

So could this simply be a codec problem causing this glitchiness?

or

If I have to recapture the files since they have may have become corrupted when I transferred it to my other hard drive, do I have to buy/rent a hd camcorder to send them over again? My dv camcorder doesn't understand the format.

edit:

I just added a sample clip of the "glitch" issue...let me know if the glitch shows up on your comp:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Q...QXBFd2V4dnc9PQ

Last edited by Douglas Wright; August 12th, 2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: adding sample clip
Douglas Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Give us a sample of the glitchiness. Sony Media Software repairs tapes, if it is a tape issue...Show us..
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #3
New Boot

hey douglas

can you elaborate on the term glitchy?
Jesse R. Borrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

when I play the file back in Nero, it has parts of the image that "garbled" and when I bring it into premiere, there are green artificats in some places, in other places it turns red, or shows a little bit of the next scene... those type of issues.
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Give us a sample of the glitchiness. Sony Media Software repairs tapes, if it is a tape issue...Show us..
Bill
I don't think there was any problem with the tape, it played back perfectly on the players, and when I previewed the files on the computer.. I didn't notice any issues.

I connected the hard drive that I captured the images on to the one on the computer that I plan to use for my edits, and when I played back the files that's when I saw all the glitches. However, the files no longer exist on the old hard drive, and when I copy back the ones that were transferred and try to play them, they now have the glitchiness.
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Wright View Post
but I erased the files that were on the other computer, so it's nothing I can do to get it back.
You can try a program called Active File Recovery. It helped me restore a corrupted hard drive. You must restore from one drive to another though for best performance as if you try to do it to same drive, you could loose it forever.

http://www.file-recovery.net/
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

the main reason why I transferred and deleted from the other hard drive was for lack of file space, so I cant recover all of my files if I tried.

I did do a recovery though, and different clips were getting mashed together... although they didnt have the same glitches, the recovery was mixing different files into one.

this is horrible. I just did a big shoot this weekend, and didn't sleep now this :(
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I still have the tapes, is that the only viable option? Would any hd camera be able to re-upload them, or would I need this specific camera?
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Contributor

If you shot HDV 60i then you could capture the tapes with a Sony HDV camera or HDV deck, but if you shot 24F or 30F you'll need another Canon HDV camera to capture. If you shot Standard Definition, then you could use any DV camera.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Major Player

I talked to a Canon rep last week. They said the HV 10-30 series of camcorders would work for downloading XHA1 footage, and these are cheaper to rent. He said the HV-20 would be a good one, since it's been out for awhile and should be easy to find at the rental company. But, check with Canon or the rental company yourself before laying down the cash.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Wright View Post
the main reason why I transferred and deleted from the other hard drive was for lack of file space, so I cant recover all of my files if I tried.

I did do a recovery though, and different clips were getting mashed together... although they didnt have the same glitches, the recovery was mixing different files into one.

this is horrible. I just did a big shoot this weekend, and didn't sleep now this :(
Go buy a bigger hard drive, install it, format it, keep other drive installed, run the Active File Recovery and there you go.

What did you try to recover with?
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger View Post
Go buy a bigger hard drive, install it, format it, keep other drive installed, run the Active File Recovery and there you go.

What did you try to recover with?

I tried to recover it with a program called "Deleted File Recovery 3.0"

the problem is, that there is only space enough on the computer to possibly posses half the files, even if it did work right....which it didn't.
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you shot HDV 60i then you could capture the tapes with a Sony HDV camera or HDV deck, but if you shot 24F or 30F you'll need another Canon HDV camera to capture. If you shot Standard Definition, then you could use any DV camera.

yea... I recorded at 30F
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas Wright View Post
i Tried To Recover It With A Program Called "deleted File Recovery 3.0"

The Problem Is, That There Is Only Space Enough On The Computer To Possibly Posses Half The Files, Even If It Did Work Right....which It Didn't.
Buy Another Larger Hard Drive.
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger View Post
Buy Another Larger Hard Drive.
I already have a bigger hard drive with free space. The problem is I have 80 gigs of material, that needs to be recovered from a hard drive that only has 40 gigs. It is impossible for all 80 gigs to be recovered, since some of the disc base had have to been written over already.
Douglas Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders