DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH A1 and Panasonic -- also 4:3 vs. 16:9 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/127925-xh-a1-panasonic-also-4-3-vs-16-9-a.html)

Guillermo Ibanez August 12th, 2008 02:32 PM

XH A1 and Panasonic -- also 4:3 vs. 16:9

Hi forum,

I own a canon XHA1 which I'll be using together with a DVX100b to shoot a documentary by the end of the month. Knowing that the panasonic is not an HDV camera? how would you shoot to make them look the same(similar)? does the DVX100b shoot progressive? 16:9?
Could I shoot HDV with the canon and DV with dvx100 and edit them together? resolution problems? any special preset on the canon?

thanks

Bill Pryor August 28th, 2008 09:11 AM

The Panasonic will do an electronic 16:9 format and also 24p, so you could mix them, but the Panasonic will be a lot softer. There is a Pannylook (or something like that) preset on here you can download to give the XH A1 a similar look to the Panasonic. If you use the Panasonic for closeups and the Canon for long shots, you can probably get by with it. The lower resolution of the Panasonic will show up more on long shots, so keep it for the tighter shots. The main issue I've had with the Panasonic is that when using the anamorphic 16:9 mode, the viewfinder doesn't handle it like other cameras--the image is squished vertically. If you can live with that while shooting, it is do-able. Not ideal, but with care you can probably get by with it.

Or, you could also shoot 4:3 standard definition with the XH A1, tweaking it to look like the Panasonic, and they would match better.

Guy Shaddock August 28th, 2008 07:30 PM

Shoot 4:3 or 16:9...Letterbox?

I'm on a shoot this weekend and am using my Canon XH-A1 and a Panasonic DVC30. The resultant product will be destined for the web or for DVD. I've asked my client whether 4:3 or 16:9 would be their preference. They offered no preferance for either aspect.
I am planning on shooting SD at 4:3 for both camera's yet I am wondering whether it might be better to shoot in the consideration of the 16:9 trend.
I am going to use the Canon for mostly tripod shots and the DVC 30 for steadicam shots. The DVC30 is really a sweet little camera and balances beautifully on my Merlin Steadicam.
My question is this. Should I shoot letterbox with the DVC30 and shoot 16:9 on the A1? Would I be better to shoot 4:3 both camera's?

Chris Hurd August 29th, 2008 06:55 AM

For Guillermo: see the Presets thread for guidance on matching the XH A1 to the Panasonic.

For Guy: unless the composition of the shoot calls for widescreen, you might be better off at 4:3 if it's intended for web delivery.

Jonathan Schwartz August 29th, 2008 09:59 PM

Mixing With Panasonic DVC30

Guy,

I have been mixing the DVC30 with the A1 for about a year now. I use the DVC30 in Letterbox mode and the A1 in 16x9. When I mix them (in Final Cut) is change the distortion on the A1 video to -26 to match the letterbox mode of the DVC30. I use the reality preset in stage event work (recitals and plays) and the new panalook for outside events. Sometimes I have to do a little tweaking with colors in post but this has proved to work pretty well so far. Hope this helps

Jon Schwartz
CA Video Productions

Guy Shaddock August 30th, 2008 09:06 PM

Thanks Jonathan

Unfortunately I can't test the results because I don't have Final Cut Pro. I'll be delivering the tapes to my client who will be editing in Final Cut.

I've got an relatively expensive out of town shoot this weekend so I think I'll play it safe and shoot 4:3 for that shoot. But next shoot I'll try your suggestion. Thanks for showing me how to do it!

I'm going to try your preset suggestion though this will be very helpful.

Michael Wisniewski August 30th, 2008 09:43 PM

One nice feature on the Canon XH series are the 4:3 guides. You can compose in 4:3, but have the 16:9 image, just in case.