DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   SDI or BNC output to external monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/128022-sdi-bnc-output-external-monitor.html)

Jawad Mir August 14th, 2008 10:46 AM

SDI or BNC output to external monitor

I have ikani monitor and xh a1. I have to leave for a shoot in an hour and running into a problem.

I have got camera connected to monitor from output to input but as i understand there is a setting in playmode on the camera of sdi but i can't find anything like that

any help to get me going in next hour would be great

Bill Busby August 14th, 2008 10:55 AM

You can't find it because the A1 doesn't have SDI out. It's the G1 that does.

Bill Pryor August 14th, 2008 02:19 PM

There's a switch on the back to go from component cable to BNC. If you've got a BNC cable going out to your monitor, then the switch needs to be in the V2 position. The V1 is for the component cable. As the above post says, there's no SDI.

Guy Shaddock August 17th, 2008 06:33 PM

I've tried to connect the A1's BNC terminal to the "F" connector at the back of my HD TV ("F" connector is the standard threaded cable connection at the back of most TV's). I've set the camera to V2 and still have had no success.

Dan Keaton August 17th, 2008 06:53 PM

Dear Guy,

That will not work.

The BNC output is "Composite Video". As such, it should go into your "Video In" which is usually a yellow RCA connector.

The "F" connector is for over the air or cable signals and is not appropriate for the "Composite Video" output of the XH A1.

For a better image, you should use the "Component" outputs of the XH A1 to the "Component" inputs of your television. These will be Red, Blue and Green connectors.

Guy Shaddock August 17th, 2008 07:29 PM

Dan

Thanks for bringing the clarity that I needed. Now I understand. I hooked up the BNC out from the camera to a yellow video connector at the back of my TV...and presto an image. Like you say though, the best image output from the camera is to be gotten by using the red green blue component cable from the camera to the TV.

I have a teleprompter that uses a wide screen TV. I was hoping to use that TV monitor not just for the teleprompter but as a monitor for other shoots. However, I suspect that the teleprompter TV has pretty minimal resolution .....800 x 600. While this works fine for SD shoots, the teleprompter monitor won't work for HD.

Ivan Mosny August 18th, 2008 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 920517)
There's a switch on the back to go from component cable to BNC.

No - component cable output is always active. This is a switcher between composite on BNC or composite on minijack.

Dan Keaton August 18th, 2008 09:08 AM

Dear Guy,

I am glad that it is now working for you.