SDI or BNC output to external monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 14th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Major Player

SDI or BNC output to external monitor

I have ikani monitor and xh a1. I have to leave for a shoot in an hour and running into a problem.

I have got camera connected to monitor from output to input but as i understand there is a setting in playmode on the camera of sdi but i can't find anything like that

any help to get me going in next hour would be great
Jawad Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Major Player

You can't find it because the A1 doesn't have SDI out. It's the G1 that does.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #3
Contributor

There's a switch on the back to go from component cable to BNC. If you've got a BNC cable going out to your monitor, then the switch needs to be in the V2 position. The V1 is for the component cable. As the above post says, there's no SDI.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've tried to connect the A1's BNC terminal to the "F" connector at the back of my HD TV ("F" connector is the standard threaded cable connection at the back of most TV's). I've set the camera to V2 and still have had no success.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Guy,

That will not work.

The BNC output is "Composite Video". As such, it should go into your "Video In" which is usually a yellow RCA connector.

The "F" connector is for over the air or cable signals and is not appropriate for the "Composite Video" output of the XH A1.

For a better image, you should use the "Component" outputs of the XH A1 to the "Component" inputs of your television. These will be Red, Blue and Green connectors.
Old August 17th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dan

Thanks for bringing the clarity that I needed. Now I understand. I hooked up the BNC out from the camera to a yellow video connector at the back of my TV...and presto an image. Like you say though, the best image output from the camera is to be gotten by using the red green blue component cable from the camera to the TV.

I have a teleprompter that uses a wide screen TV. I was hoping to use that TV monitor not just for the teleprompter but as a monitor for other shoots. However, I suspect that the teleprompter TV has pretty minimal resolution .....800 x 600. While this works fine for SD shoots, the teleprompter monitor won't work for HD.

Last edited by Guy Shaddock; August 18th, 2008 at 08:18 AM.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
There's a switch on the back to go from component cable to BNC.
No - component cable output is always active. This is a switcher between composite on BNC or composite on minijack.
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Guy,

I am glad that it is now working for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders