DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Looking for mic suggestions - outdoor use (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/128155-looking-mic-suggestions-outdoor-use.html)

Stephen Sobel August 17th, 2008 07:17 AM

Looking for mic suggestions - outdoor use

I'm looking for an external mic that I will attach to my A1 using an SM-5 shockmount. I will use it outdoors, at events where there are people lining up to get autographs from actors. I will be 4 to 8 feet away (occasionally up to 10 feet away). I want to be able to pick up the conversation between the person signing the autographs and the person ( or couple of people) getting the autographs, while cutting down on the chatter to the sides and next to me.

This isn't somehting I do alot, so for now I'm not looking to invest a lot in the mic. I'm looking in the $250 - $700 (tops) range.

Any suggestions?

Bill Pryor August 17th, 2008 11:33 AM

Audio-Technica and Røde seem to make the best low priced shotgun mics. But, shooting from that far away, especially with people talking off-mic, don't expect great sound from any mic.

Stephen Sobel August 17th, 2008 01:34 PM

I don't expect great sound. I'm just trying to get better than the on-board mic.

I am hoping to typically get within 4 or 5 feet, though I suspect that won't always be possible.

Any particular AT or Rode you would recommend?

Colin McDonald August 17th, 2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel (Post 921367)
I don't expect great sound. I'm just trying to get better than the on-board mic.

I am hoping to typically get within 4 or 5 feet, though I suspect that won't always be possible.

Any particular AT or Rode you would recommend?

I can vouch for the Rode NTG-2 - that one can operate from an AA battery as well as phantom power. Don't expect too much of the windshield or the optional dead cat though.

Dave Ambrose August 17th, 2008 01:57 PM

Rode Ntg-2 is probably the best deal out there. the AT would be the 897, which is very similar but I think the ntg2 has a little better low end pick up. The sweet spot on those mics is about 3.5 feet and then dissipates from there, but at 6 you should be ok.

Jonathan Shaw August 17th, 2008 09:39 PM

I use an NTG 1, pretty good for the cost. As the A1 has phantom power I saw no reason to go for the NTG 2. I got the shockmount too which works pretty well.

David Beisner August 18th, 2008 10:51 AM

If you've got the "inside" track on your shoots, you could also put a decent omni lav on the guy signing his autograph and use that to pick up the conversation between the two of them--pair it with an NTG-2 and play with the levels to get your best balance...

Colin McDonald August 18th, 2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw (Post 921482)
I use an NTG 1, pretty good for the cost. As the A1 has phantom power I saw no reason to go for the NTG 2. I got the shockmount too which works pretty well.

I use the NTG-2 with HV-30s as well - hence the self-power option.

Stephen Sobel August 18th, 2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Which shockmount are you using?

Tripp Woelfel August 18th, 2008 06:27 PM

I'll throw my vote behind the Rode as well. I have the NTG-1 and have put it in play in some demanding environments for interviews... the race track.

If you're interested in some examples, go here: Oxford Plains Speedway Channel on Vimeo
Episode 6 was shot indoors at about 3 feet away. The other episodes were outside and shot between 3-4 feet distant. I had to get that close to overcome the loud race cars on the track 30-50 feet away.

The audio has some moderate compression applied, so take that into account.

Also, here's an example of the Rode in a more tranquil setting. http://vimeo.com/670152

There are three interviews interspersed in the piece. They were shot about 5-6 foot distant. Can't remember if I compressed the audio, but I'd bet I did a little.

Mark Fry August 19th, 2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

I bought the NTG-1, too, but wish now I'd gone for the NTG-2 so I could use it with other things, such as my minidisc recorder or HV20 camcorder. The price differenece is only a few pounds or dollars, and it's worth it for the extra flexibility.

Jonathan Shaw August 19th, 2008 03:53 PM

I use the rode shockmount, only because it was in the shop when I got the mic. I don't know how much difference there is between them.
Looking at the posts I would probably go for the NTG 2 if you are wanting to use it on anything else.

Only other difference is that the NTG 2 is a few inches longer due to battery compartment.

Stephen Sobel August 19th, 2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw (Post 922192)
I use the rode shockmount, only because it was in the shop when I got the mic. I don't know how much difference there is between them.
Looking at the posts I would probably go for the NTG 2 if you are wanting to use it on anything else.

Only other difference is that the NTG 2 is a few inches longer due to battery compartment.

I'm sotty I wsan't clear. I meant, which Rode shockmount do you use - the SM-3 or the SM-5? One attaches to the hot shoe, the other to the A1 external mic holder.

Jonathan Shaw August 19th, 2008 06:13 PM

I use the one that attaches to the hot shoe, I have taken the external mic holder off my A1 as it is in and out of a housing a couple of times a week and needs to come off for that.

The hotshoe option was just easier,

Jon

Stephen Sobel August 20th, 2008 04:47 PM

Has anyone checked out the new Rode NTG-3 yet? I'm curious how much better it sounds versus the NTG-1 (or 2), and if it is worth the price difference.