What work are you doing with your XH-A1? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:25 PM   #46
Major Player

I'm a full-time Copywriter and part-time Videographer for a few big aftermarket auto accessory retailers.

I mostly shoot vehicle event coverage (car/truck shows) and product installation and information videos.

But that's just what I get paid to do. What I WANT to do is creative stuff - wildlife, documentaries, short films - I can't wait!
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson View Post
Well, since nobody mentioned a movie I might as well mention that I am making a feature movie with it. There is a very, very short clip from it at my blog at
The Russian Captain
but we managed to get some more really nice shots out of it and I will publish more in the future. We are shooting until june 2009 so it's a slow progress. Anyway, I love the camera and I am using a film stock preset that makes it looks really nice.
Looks interesting. Are you using one of the presets posted on this forum (in which case, which one?) or have you made one specially? If it's your own, would you share it with us, please, and maybe explain what the settings do for the "look" of the picture? If not now, then maybe when your movie is finished? Thanks in advance.
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #48
Major Player

I am using the PRESET04.CPF "5248FILM". I went through all presets and also without preset and I just felt that this is the one that fits the movie. We are shooting 25p and were possible we try to make that shallow depth of field look so it's more movielike. The preset makes the move look like "not like video" which is my primary concern. I have some really nice clips of the sunrise, pictures in the forest et.c so I feel very happy about getting this camera. Hopefully with creative editing, sound fx, music, audio it can be a really good movie but I don't know if it is until the end of next summer.. :)
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #49
Major Player

i'm in Africa (Burundi based) shooting small docs showcasing the work of NGO's who have programs reintegrating ex-combatants, promoting women's empowerment (ie: rape is not even illegal in Burundi!!!!!) and more... very interesting and challenging, especially with the translation factor. i will be shooting videos for songs from my CD and for two new songs i am just releasing while on my Canadian vacation. i love the XH-A1 and am dreaming of the day i can include blu-ray in my FCP workflow. and toggle the IS without a menu... and drink coffee from the battery compartment...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #50
Major Player

Have recently made 5 x 5' music documentaries and some corporate films.
Link below if you want to see them.
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #51
Regular Crew

With the XH-A1 I have shot 3 documentary-style videos for Médicine Sans Frontierès Italy (one of them in Sierra Leone), a 50 minute documentary for Italian channel La7, another special about the Eurogames in Barcelona for La7, and a short movie for last year "48 hour film project" which ended to be the Italian winner. :-)

The XH-A1 is a great camera, after 2 years still the best for price/quality.

Alessandro
Alessandro Nucci is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders