Low light question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Low light question

I recently did my very first wedding, man was I nervous. And overall it came out really well. The wedding was on a beach in California, and even though I've owned the A1 for awhile now I was really impressed with the color quality.

All of the footage of the ceremony itself came out relatively flawless until I got to the reception. It was fine during all of the speeches and cake dealings. But during the garder/flower bit I ran into some trouble. I will be posting footage it just takes forever to compress. The room was lit with strings of "christmas lights" all of the way around the room and one very very dim light in the center of an aproxiamate 50x50 area. I had to go auto focus at this point as people were moving around alot. The real problem was the footage got all grainy. And while you can certainly see what's going on it still is a bit troublesome to me. It only got worse when the "dances" started. The video's not unbearable but it's remnant of a camera nowhere near the quality of the A1. Luckily I was "employed" by my best friend, the groom, so he really doesn't care about the grain.

My question is, if I ever run into this again is there anyway around it? I didn't really have time to mess with exposure since I didn't want to ruin some portions of the reception. But any suggestions would help.
John Patrick Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Contributor

It sounds like you were shooting with auto gain on. When the gain goes up so does the grain. Use the camera in manual modes and you can probably find a compromise that's not so grainy. It may be better to be a stop underexposed at a +6 than better exposure at a +12. I've found that you can shoot at +6 and be reasonably decent but +12 isn't so good. Make sure your ND is off, of course, and auto shutter and auto iris off too. Sometimes if you're shooting 60i you can reduce shutter speed to 1/30 if people aren't moving fast and get by with that and gain a little light.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders