XH-A1 and the Firestore FS-C DTE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XH-A1 and the Firestore FS-C DTE

I am finding the combination of the A1 and the FS-C hard drive recorder is quite good. However, last night while shooting with the FS-C hanging off my belt and the firewire cable plugged into the A1, the firewire fell off the A1. For a few moments I didn't notice it. Fortunately the footage was not important but it did get me thinking...what if? What if the cable popped out during a shoot?
The problem is the little 4 pin connector that plugs into the camera is not secure! I am sure others have discovered this and I was wondering if anyone has come up with a fix. Hopefully the fix doesn't interfer with being able to disconnect the cable quickly and easily.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Shaddock View Post
...The problem is the little 4 pin connector that plugs into the camera is not secure! I am sure others have discovered this and I was wondering if anyone has come up with a fix. Hopefully the fix doesn't interfer with being able to disconnect the cable quickly and easily.
I can't find the post, but I remember reading about at least one person who had made up a combined headphone minijack and FW cable connector. The idea was that the minijack helped keep the FW plug from coming out so easily. I'm sure there was a photo as well.

I run the FW cable back through the microphone holder and loop it round. (I don't use the holder for an on-camera mic because it transmits motor noise to the mic).
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Darned 4 pin firewires are the bane of these cameras! I was so glad they finally got smart and put the big solid plugs on the new Canons.

I always roll tape at the same time I'm using the Firestore. No problems then.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Possible solution

This is my fix.... I hope. I haven't field tested it yet but I know it will be a massive improvement. It is probably kind of hard to see in the picture but this is what I did. I used a velcro strap...the kind you buy for using to tie up wires. You can see the type of strap just below the A1. The strap wraps around the firewire... as you can see one installed on the firewire. I cut up a small self adhesive velcro receiver pad and stuck it just under the A1's handle (it's really hard to see that in the picture). Now the strap holds the firewire more securely to the camera yet it is easy to pull it off when you want to disconnect the firewire from the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
XH-A1 and the Firestore FS-C DTE-firewirestrap.jpg  

Last edited by Guy Shaddock; August 23rd, 2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Same Problem

I had that happen to me, and while panning. If you "bump" the cable it will drop frames or put a "glitch" in the film.

Just plugging in the cable in to down load tape or hook up the FSC time after time starts to take its toll on the firewire port, not to mention don't bend the cable to much. I always feel like Im defusing a bomb when Im plugging into the firewire port. It that goes ...Off to the repair shop!

The firestore is the only way to film, its fast and saves time starting the work flow, I love it! But having the tape back up is nice.

At this time I just keep everyone away from the firewire cable and try not to bump it. :(
Rob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

a possible improvement would be to carefully remove the outer pvc cover of the cable. This would leave the individual wires and presumably the shield, all of which should be more flexible and therefore put less strain on the camera's socket.

I haven't tried this, so use a spare cable if you do, just in case!

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders