DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Trailer for my new film - "The Crossing" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/129407-trailer-my-new-film-crossing.html)

Steve Lewis September 5th, 2008 12:02 PM

Trailer for my new film - "The Crossing"

Shot on XHA1, this is documentary that I am in the middle of making about my brother who swam the Santa Rosa Channel! (28 miles)

The Crossing - HD Trailer on Vimeo

These shots are a combination of REALITY & AC PREF presets as well as a little MBL thrown in for good measure.

-Steve

Takashi Doscher September 7th, 2008 07:47 PM

Really great shots in this. What did you use to color correct it? Does MBL mean Magic Bullet Lite?Some look really polished.

I am not a big fan of the titles personally. I think the fonts and positioning look a little strange. But thats just an opinion. Otherwise the shot composition is really well done. How did you get the underwater shot?

Steve Lewis September 8th, 2008 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takashi Doscher (Post 930645)
What did you use to color correct it?

I am not a big fan of the titles personally. I think the fonts and positioning look a little strange. But thats just an opinion.?

Hi,
Yes, I used Magic Bullet LOOKS. Which titles are you referring to? The opening titles or the orange and blue ones at the end? Tell me why you don't like them, maybe I can improve upon them! Oh, and the underwater shot was done by Marc's coach: he has a special underwater system in the UCSD pool to help coach his swimmers.

-Steve

Takashi Doscher September 8th, 2008 07:58 AM

The beginnning titles are ok. The jump cuts are a little jarring in my opinion but otherwise the font and white color are fine. If you have any audio, it may be better to explain the plot as you are seeing the images instead of explaining it all in text in the beginning.

The two titles at the end I didnt like at all. "The Crossing" title in the wake of the boat really reminded me of "The Love Boat" or some kind of spoof - not the inspirational and amazing story of overcoming obstacles that the story seems to be about. I would also shrink the "a film by Stephen Lewis" and maybe add some subtle motion to it. Personally, I also try to keep fonts and colors consistent throughout a project. I dont know if this is right or a good thing to do, but I think it adds cohesion to a piece.

This is all just my personal opinion, so please don't take any of it personally. I dont know what I am talking about but hopefully everyone on these forums can learn and grow together.

Bill Pryor September 8th, 2008 08:48 AM

It has a nice look. I agree about the ending titles. Makes it look like a TV show instead of a film. And unless Stephen Lewis is well known to audiences in the area, that big ego title at the end should probably go.

Steve Lewis September 8th, 2008 02:50 PM

Thanks Bill and Takashi,
I certainly didn't mean the last title of my name to be pompous or show-offy. I'll change the end titles and work some of interviews into the trailer, I didn't want the trailer the trailer to exceed 1 minute, so I'll have to rejigger some things. Thanks for your constructive criticisms... it's the best way to learn!
-Steve