DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony HVR M15AU and the xh / xl series... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/129531-sony-hvr-m15au-xh-xl-series.html)

Casey Krugman September 7th, 2008 12:16 PM

Sony HVR M15AU and the xh / xl series...

Just tested the XHA1 tape recorded at both 24f and 30f in the sony hvr-m15au deck. It worked perfectly. Interestingly enough however, the 24f and 30f from the original xlh1 didn't work on the tape, but worked through the firewire. This seems to only be a problem on the original xlh1, the newer one should be fine, but didnt have access to it.

Bill Pryor September 7th, 2008 01:15 PM

What do you mean it didn't work on the tape? You played a tape recorded at 24F and it didn't work when playing in the deck or it did work? I'm lost.

Bill Busby September 7th, 2008 02:56 PM

Count me in as being lost as well. I didn't understand the post at all.

Bill Pryor September 7th, 2008 05:07 PM

I thought the only deck that would play 24/30F was the new M35 (is that the right number?).

Bill Busby September 7th, 2008 10:51 PM

I don't know if this is true, but I've read elsewhere that 24f & 30f can only be played by decks IF the source is SD & not HDV. But you're right, Bill... the M35 or whatever it is can.

Chris Hurd September 8th, 2008 06:51 AM

All frame rates in SD (that is, 480i60, 480p30 and 480p24)... any DV deck will do.

60i in HD (that is, 1080i60)... and HDV deck will do.

Frame mode in HD (that is, 1080p30 or 1080p24)... only the Sony HVR-M35 will do. Otherwise use a Canon XL H, XH, or HV series camcorder for playback. Hope this helps,

Casey Krugman September 8th, 2008 10:44 AM

Sorry for the confusion...

This was regarding the HVR-M15Au, the new sony deck, it's about 150 more and will do all the progressive modes like the the M35u. When we tested it, for some reason when attached via firewire to the xl-h1, it would show up on the monitor attached to the deck. However, when we recorded about 30 seconds of footage on tape, and attemped to play it back at 30f and 24f, it didn't work. The same footage out of the xh-a1 DID work and play beautifully!

Hope this clears it up...

Bill Busby September 8th, 2008 12:29 PM

Casey, I wasn't even aware the M15U has a successor now (M15AU), and all along assumed you were referring to the older model (missed that somehow). I thought the only new Sony offering was the M35. Thanks for the info.

Andy Johnson-Laird June 28th, 2009 12:13 PM

Update on the Sony HVR-M15AU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 930758)
All frame rates in SD (that is, 480i60, 480p30 and 480p24)... any DV deck will do.

60i in HD (that is, 1080i60)... and HDV deck will do.

Frame mode in HD (that is, 1080p30 or 1080p24)... only the Sony HVR-M35 will do. Otherwise use a Canon XL H, XH, or HV series camcorder for playback. Hope this helps,

Apologies from reviving a thread that has been sleeping peacefully, but I was researching the best kind of VTR to get for ingesting XLH1a video shot at 1080i 30F and I came across Chris' comments just as I was about to test an M15AU that was on loan to me (Professional Video and Tape in Portland, OR, are very helpful, just in case anybody is in the Portland area - ask for Brent Knight).

Anyway, the good news is that I suspect that Sony has upgraded its firmware for the M15AU -- it reads 30F video without any problems now. Thus the M15AU is a good lower-cost option for reading 1080i 30F video.

Watch out for one thing though...the manual and some of the on-line literature make reference to a "built-in LCD" screen -- there isn't one (as I discovered after a careful search). This is a reference left over from the documentation for higher-end models.

The trick appears to be to get an external component LCD monitor. The best bang for the buck appears to be an iKan V5600 (V5600 Ikan V5600 5.6" HD LCD Video Monitor with 1024 x 600 Resolution and HDMI Input) for $629 from Adorama (free shipping) -- cheaper than upgrading to the next Sony VTR model up and you get a monitor for on-camera use if you need it. I could be wrong about this iKan as I've not yet taken delivery of it.

Regards
Andy

Andy Johnson-Laird June 30th, 2009 08:42 PM

Forget the iKan V5600

Hmm. Just got the unit today. Nice display. Or it would have been if the unit had worked for more than three hours. It just upped and died during the middle of ingesting a tape into FCP.

I was also underwhelmed by the component connection on the back of the unit -- it was just a USB connector that, at the slightest sign of stress on it, would either (a) drop out or (b) go diagonal and effectively disconnect. I was debating sending it back as a result of that when the unit took matters into its own hands and decided to transform itself into a brick.

Not quite sure what the next best unit will be? Something from Marshall perhaps?

Bill Busby June 30th, 2009 09:08 PM

USB connector? Huh?

*edit* never mind :-\