Sony HVR M15AU and the xh / xl series... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HVR M15AU and the xh / xl series...

Just tested the XHA1 tape recorded at both 24f and 30f in the sony hvr-m15au deck. It worked perfectly. Interestingly enough however, the 24f and 30f from the original xlh1 didn't work on the tape, but worked through the firewire. This seems to only be a problem on the original xlh1, the newer one should be fine, but didnt have access to it.
Casey Krugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Contributor

What do you mean it didn't work on the tape? You played a tape recorded at 24F and it didn't work when playing in the deck or it did work? I'm lost.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Count me in as being lost as well. I didn't understand the post at all.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #4
Contributor

I thought the only deck that would play 24/30F was the new M35 (is that the right number?).
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't know if this is true, but I've read elsewhere that 24f & 30f can only be played by decks IF the source is SD & not HDV. But you're right, Bill... the M35 or whatever it is can.
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

All frame rates in SD (that is, 480i60, 480p30 and 480p24)... any DV deck will do.

60i in HD (that is, 1080i60)... and HDV deck will do.

Frame mode in HD (that is, 1080p30 or 1080p24)... only the Sony HVR-M35 will do. Otherwise use a Canon XL H, XH, or HV series camcorder for playback. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sorry for the confusion...

This was regarding the HVR-M15Au, the new sony deck, it's about 150 more and will do all the progressive modes like the the M35u. When we tested it, for some reason when attached via firewire to the xl-h1, it would show up on the monitor attached to the deck. However, when we recorded about 30 seconds of footage on tape, and attemped to play it back at 30f and 24f, it didn't work. The same footage out of the xh-a1 DID work and play beautifully!

Hope this clears it up...
Casey Krugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Major Player

Casey, I wasn't even aware the M15U has a successor now (M15AU), and all along assumed you were referring to the older model (missed that somehow). I thought the only new Sony offering was the M35. Thanks for the info.
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Update on the Sony HVR-M15AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
All frame rates in SD (that is, 480i60, 480p30 and 480p24)... any DV deck will do.

60i in HD (that is, 1080i60)... and HDV deck will do.

Frame mode in HD (that is, 1080p30 or 1080p24)... only the Sony HVR-M35 will do. Otherwise use a Canon XL H, XH, or HV series camcorder for playback. Hope this helps,
Apologies from reviving a thread that has been sleeping peacefully, but I was researching the best kind of VTR to get for ingesting XLH1a video shot at 1080i 30F and I came across Chris' comments just as I was about to test an M15AU that was on loan to me (Professional Video and Tape in Portland, OR, are very helpful, just in case anybody is in the Portland area - ask for Brent Knight).

Anyway, the good news is that I suspect that Sony has upgraded its firmware for the M15AU -- it reads 30F video without any problems now. Thus the M15AU is a good lower-cost option for reading 1080i 30F video.

Watch out for one thing though...the manual and some of the on-line literature make reference to a "built-in LCD" screen -- there isn't one (as I discovered after a careful search). This is a reference left over from the documentation for higher-end models.

The trick appears to be to get an external component LCD monitor. The best bang for the buck appears to be an iKan V5600 (V5600 Ikan V5600 5.6" HD LCD Video Monitor with 1024 x 600 Resolution and HDMI Input) for $629 from Adorama (free shipping) -- cheaper than upgrading to the next Sony VTR model up and you get a monitor for on-camera use if you need it. I could be wrong about this iKan as I've not yet taken delivery of it.

Regards
Andy
Old June 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Forget the iKan V5600

Hmm. Just got the unit today. Nice display. Or it would have been if the unit had worked for more than three hours. It just upped and died during the middle of ingesting a tape into FCP.

I was also underwhelmed by the component connection on the back of the unit -- it was just a USB connector that, at the slightest sign of stress on it, would either (a) drop out or (b) go diagonal and effectively disconnect. I was debating sending it back as a result of that when the unit took matters into its own hands and decided to transform itself into a brick.

Not quite sure what the next best unit will be? Something from Marshall perhaps?
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #11
Major Player

USB connector? Huh?

*edit* never mind :-\

Last edited by Bill Busby; July 1st, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders