Shooting in the Cold - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 10th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Cold weather shooting with XHA1

Also I have a electric heating pad in my trunk that my pelican case lays on with a blanket
Chas Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Stay View Post
After using it more now it is fine in weather down to about 15 degrees F. But once your footage starts looking slow or there are trails behind fast moving objects its time to warm up your camera. When your footage looks like that chances are you are not getting any footage recorded to tape. I wonder if using a lubricated tape makes it worse? The lubrication gets to viscus and wont record well?
Hi Craig, there are no lubricated DV recording tapes as such. Cheers.
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #33
New Boot

All sony tapes use a silicone lubricant, Panasonic and JVC use a dry type graphite lubricant. Thats why I quit using Sony and started using Panasonic ans have'nt had anymore problems.
Terry Doublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #34
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake McGlothlin View Post
What can I do to ensure the proper function of the camera in conditions such as this?
I can tell you I shot on a snowy day in MI when the temp was -5f. Length of the shoot was 5 hours. I had a rain cover on the camera.

Everything kept working just fine....except for the actors.
Matthew Nothelfer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders