How to set Zebras - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Thanks Tom, very interesting, I'd like to know more too.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I have no links Allan and Jo - it's just what I've taught myself. And it's so easy to experimentally verify. Camera on tripod, pointing out into the garden. Connect to a big, well set up TV and use this in combination with the camera's v'finders. Set zebras on.

I use 100% for no good reason other than I've grown up with them at this setting and know what they mean and what they're telling me. I take it that zebras starting to appear will mean burn-out to pure white on the final DVD (not necessarily the TV monitor of your timeline, note).

Record footage as you open the iris blades, talking to those mics all the time - describe accurately when the zebras appear, where they occur and when they leave the scene. Replay this tape and take note.

Once you've done this you'll know how you camera behaves. And it's this that makes me wary of people who hire a camera for an event, because all cameras have their foibles.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Tom 'open the blades' you say there. Post 14 was intriguing in that you mentioned 'most cameras have a hysteresis loop' I assume this applies to vid cams.

And you'd select one or the other, either open or close the iris for a particular cam to run your test and stay with it?

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Yes, I've only ever seen this zebra this hysteresis loop on video cameras I've known. Your mileage may vary. And yes again - always approach your zebras from the same way and you'll always be told the same info.
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I understand your method of testing - it makes sense to know at which point you want your zebras to appear. I personally use 75, but that's just what i've always been used to.

I was more interested about what you were saying about the hysteresis loop - and how zebras can appear and then dissappear again. I've never seen this, but would be interested to hear more.
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #21
Inner Circle

As I say Jo - so easy to test for yourself. What camera do you have? If it's a Canon it may not be so - I haven't checked, but my Sonys have always shown this loop. Even at the 100% setting I can see the zebras come in at f/8 on a highlight and leave by f/4. But you say you've not had problems so fine - carry on shooting.
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I've got an XH-A1 and before that used and XL2. I'll have to have a play see if I can find anything!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders