DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   The Remarkable Gift (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/129834-remarkable-gift.html)

Steven Dempsey September 11th, 2008 07:39 AM

The Remarkable Gift

Based on a true story....

Mainly XHA1 and Ultimate combo but some without adapter and a few shots with the Canon XLH1

The Remarkable Gift By Steven Dempsey On ExposureRoom

Denise Wall September 11th, 2008 08:21 AM

Wow!

Everything about this is great.

What you describe is almost exactly how I felt when I started still photography. I looked for and saw beauty where I had missed it all along. I became, quite simply, happier.

Thanks so much for posting this.

Shawn Levin September 11th, 2008 10:57 AM

Hi Steven,

Tastefully done..... and especially beautiful colours.
I had to pause the playback during that fast pace montage to truly apreciate each shot.
I love hidden 'extra value' shots like that.
I really enjoy your calm and relaxed narration style - very moving!
The aspect really gives a sense of great spaces too.

You have certainly mastered 'the look'....
Could you share more about your colour processing:

This will inspire me muchly.
I know there are many different shots - Are you doing most of it in post.....
our getting the look you want from the preset (dare I assume you're using vividRGB or one of your panlook versions)
could you share a few post colour tips
I have just moved from PPro to Vegas for my HD work.
really appreciated.

THanks for the lift.
Shawn

Bill Grant September 11th, 2008 11:33 AM

Stephen,
Could I post this on my blog? It expresses exactly how I feel about what I do. I will give proper credit, etc. Amazing.
Bill

Steven Dempsey September 11th, 2008 11:34 AM

Yes Bill, go ahead.

Thanks

Shaun Roemich September 11th, 2008 12:00 PM

Steven: Beautifully stated! And great footage to boot. Thank you for reminding me that I too have been given a gift in that I can earn a reasonable living exploring the beauty, ugliness and beauty IN ugliness through the lens whilst others toil at jobs they hate. Your gift to us is the story of your gift.

J.J. Kim September 11th, 2008 01:31 PM

Thank you for posting this beautiful piece, Steven. Very well done.
Your works have been a big inspiration for me. Thank you for that.
Keep up the good work!

JJ

Bill Thesken September 11th, 2008 03:24 PM

The outdoor vistas had the great look like an old Disney movie - even the font had the look.
Very nice.

Steven Dempsey September 11th, 2008 03:30 PM

Glad you noticed that Bill. I was going for an old Technicolor feeling...very reminiscent of the older Disney style.

Thanks for the comments everyone. It means a lot that the message resonates with so many.

Luca Ghione September 19th, 2008 10:23 AM

fantastic movie! full of emotions and good feeling. I like the colours and images. the audio comment is great.

Joseph Kassana September 23rd, 2008 11:54 AM

I love you. Marry me.

Rob Cook September 23rd, 2008 08:38 PM

Steven

Bravo:)

Bryan Gilchrist September 24th, 2008 09:30 PM

Awesome video!!

You ought to send that in to Canon...would make a nice commercial/promo video for the XH-A1! :)

Steven Dempsey September 24th, 2008 09:33 PM

No disrespect meant to Canon but basically all my emails to them have gone unanswered.

Hubert Duijzer September 25th, 2008 02:23 PM

That's a shame. I think that a lot of people bought the XHA1 after seeing the beauty you captured with this cam. At least i did.
If you should have done that with a HVX or Z1 for example a lot of people would have turned that way. (hard to tell, but almost sure ;) )