Sony HDR FX-1000 better than A-1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 11th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony HDR FX-1000 better than A-1?

Hello All,

I just got this promo about the Sony HDR FX-1000...soon to come on the market.

The promo(from BH Photovideo) said the FX-1000 was 'more bang for the buck' than the A-1.

No XLR inputs on the FX-1000(XLR inputs..big deal to me), no presets as near as I can tell....

Anybody see where the advantage of the FX-1000 lies? ...other than it's the same price...for what appears to be less camera?

Take care all.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Maybe it will be slightly better in low light like the Z7, but no XLR's is an issue.
Also with the FX series Sony cams they are classed as consumer and hence any issues go through normal channels instead of the pro service centre for the Z's etc.
Z5 looks good but expensive compared to the A1, I still reckon bang for buck the A1 rules!!!
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Contributor

I doubt it'll be better in low light; it has CMOS chips. It's a replacement for the FX1. Usually with Sony's high end consumer cameras the lack of XLRs is one of the more visible items missing, and usually there are some others. You'd have to compare it side by side with either the XH A1 or the Sony pro version, the Z5J (I think that's ne name, something like that). If you read that it was better than the A1, they probably were talking about the Sony A1, not the Canon XH A1.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Actually they did compare it to the XHA1, but still, there's nothing about this Sony cam that would make me want one. Plus, they've included the same single, manual/auto audio level switch, which that alone is a deal breaker. It's a stupid design. If I had paid attention that the A1 had this when I got mine, I may have reconsidered :-\

Seems there's going to be a "pro" version of the FX1000 soon. Probably includes a couple of XLR connectors... call it "pro" & charge $1500+ more :D
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Here's the link I read it from:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/digital-v...0-hvr-z5j.html

Compared to Canon XHA1 not Sony A1... albeit speculation though as always. It'll be good to see a camera vs camera comparison of the Z5 to XHA1.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Roger, it all depends on which camera you learn to use to its maximum capability and what you are comfortable with. Every camera has pros and cons to it. Paper specs don't always tell which is a better camera.

Which would look better??? A Sony EX1 in the hands of a rookie or any little consumer SD cam in the hands of a seasoned professional?
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I suspect the FX1000 will be popular for event work based on good low-light performance, which has made the Z7U popular for the same reason. The high-res (921K) LCD on the FX1000 is also a nice touch, while the LCD on the XH-A1 is less than stellar. Overall the XH-A1 seems like a better design for the price, but the FX1000 will fill a slightly different niche.

Last edited by Kevin Shaw; September 12th, 2008 at 12:53 AM. Reason: typo
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #8
Inner Circle

P.S. Looking at the article, it describes the Z5U (not the FX1000) as a competitor to the XH-A1. That makes more sense.
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #9
Major Player

Well,
I think the low-light capability alone will make this camera a killer. But, who's to say if it will actually be what it says it is. I have seen a little footage from the Z7 and am not very impressed. Now the EX1 I like. I'm looking strongly towards the HMC-150. Especially since VEgas just added more support for AVCHD... It's an interesting time for us...
Bill
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Major Player

FX1000 is a straight replacement for the old FX1. Likewise, the Z5 will replace the Z1. They use basically the same innards as the Z7 (3 x 1/3" CMOS chips, etc), but with fixed 20x zoom lens, so picture quality should be predictable from the Z7. Likewise, the claims of 1.5 lux low-light are probably with low-ish shutter speed and high-ish gain, as with the Z7. Looks like the zoom range is extended at the wide end, compared with existing 12x zoom on Z1 & FX1. So, they are strong rivals for the XH-A1, and one would expect them to be better than the existing Sony models for basically the same price, progress being what it is. Until someone gets them on test side-by-side with the Canon, it's all speculation...

How will Canon respond? Price cuts when the Sonys reach the shops and a Mk2 XH-A1 announced at NAB next spring???
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
I think the low-light capability alone will make this camera a killer. But, who's to say if it will actually be what it says it is.
We won't know for sure until the new Sony cameras ship, but if they perform as well in low light as the Z7U that will be a big appeal for some users. When the Z7U came out some prominent event videographers picked it as the camera which convinced them to switch to HD, partly for the low-light response. If the FX1000 yields similar performance at a lower price, it could attract a lot of people who have been clinging to their VX2100s and PD170s for low-light use. And while many XH-A1 owners seem satisfied with the low-light performance from that camera, it hasn't been widely regarded as strong in that area.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #12
Contributor

The Z5J would compare with the XH A1, I can see that. Still it's more expensive and I'm not seeing how it's worth the price difference. Unless the CMOS chips are a new design I think I still prefer CCDs. At a quick glance it looks like a nice upgrade to the Z1, putting a real aperture ring on the lens and providing 24p, like the XH A1.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
How will Canon respond? Price cuts when the Sonys reach the shops and a Mk2 XH-A1 announced at NAB next spring???
There will certainly be a price cut by Canon. They have done a good job milking the XH-A1 price level for so long.

I missed a MK2 XH-A1 announcement, can you point me to any info?

Thanks
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw View Post
but no XLR's is an issue.
What's up with you guys and your need for onboard XLR ports? :)

Just get a $150 adapter which does the same thing. Plus you can lose the half pound when you don't need it. If that camera with built in XLR has problems the whole thing will have to go in.

As far as the FX1000 being a better bargain than the A1... if the lux rating on the FX is anything near what they claim (using the same technology found in the EX series), that alone gets it a second look in my books.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Well, I'm looking strongly towards the HMC-150. Especially since VEgas just added more support for AVCHD...
Bill
Yeah, I saw that in the Vegas improvement list Bill.

I am really trying to find a reason to go the HMC-150 route myself. I never thought I would have a chance to go both HD and tapeless at the same time. (I'm usually way behind in cams).

I'm going to wait and see what the Vegas 8.0c crowd finds about editing this crap without having to transcode it first.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders