A1 and Manfrotto 521PRO Compact Remote Control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 14th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Major Player

A1 and Manfrotto 521PRO Compact Remote Control

Hello, does anyone know it the Manfrotto 521PRO Compact Remote Control works with the Canon XH A1, including the Push Auto Focus function.
Thx.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Judging from previous posts about this, I don't think even the Canon LANC works with the push auto-focus feature. But if there is any LANC that does, I'd like to know about it too.
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #3
New Boot

i have it and the push autofocus donīt fuction only for the zoom and manual focus and rec sorry my english not is very well, hi
Jorge Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #4
New Boot

No push focus, but for $20 - $30, what do you expect? :)

I have several eBenke LANC remotes I bought last year for ~$30, but now I see B&H has the identical unit under the "Digital Concepts" brand for $19.95 -- Digital Concepts | RC-800 8 Button Camcorder Remote | RC-800 -- which is simply unbeatable when you consider that a Manfrotto LANC control with the same functions costs $300+.

No push focus, but at least *a* focus control, and a nice-sized zoom rocker and a knob to adjust zoom speed, which beats the bleep out of two-speed rockers you can OOPS! suddenly zoom too fast by mistake by pressing a little too hard.

And (I think I posted in another thread), because these little cheapies feel flimsy, I got a couple of spares. So far, though, the only problems is that a visiting puppy chewed one up, and I assure you that this puppy could just as easily have ruined a $300 or $400 controller.

My little cheapie LANC controllers work fine on both the Canon XH-A1 and Sony A1U.

Considering the price, I can live without push focus. :)
Robin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I would like to have the push auto focus as well. What I can say is you can't get that with the VariZoom Stealth LX. You can start/stop, change focus and zoom in and out ....but that's about it. Also, the lever (a small brass hexagon shaped thing) is too small and if you are hoping to get a well controlled smooth zoom ...well, good luck!

Last edited by Guy Shaddock; September 15th, 2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: correction
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the respons.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Miller View Post
I have several eBenke LANC remotes I bought last year for ~$30, but now I see B&H has the identical unit under the "Digital Concepts" brand for $19.95 -- ... Considering the price, I can live without push focus. :)
So the cheapie works okay? I've been eyeing one of those for use with an XL1s my church uses for recording worship services.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders